Poll

what do you think  about it

Awesome
its alright
what are you smoking and why aren't you sharing
melt it

Author Topic: 1976 Trans am with Corvette spoiler 1970 400 ci engine some others extras  (Read 11412 times)

Offline SOLICIT

Hope you're not offended man.  Each person has their own vision of what their ride should look like.  If you're happy with it and consider yourself officially bit by the T/A bug, then you're in the right place.  We may not all like what the other has done to their car, but we all share the same passion for these cars.  I grew up with the F-body and have loved 'em ever since I was a little kid.  While you're car may not be my taste, it doesn't matter because it's your taste that counts. I for one am glad you're here and hope you stick around.

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
First off you did ask for our thoughts on the car, but you cant take these comments to heart. Everyone has their own opinion and very few agree ( what would be the fun it that anyways).  Some of the guys here are TA purists, and ONLY want the car stock, and some think outside the box. If you read just about any thread about what others think about other cars, the all say " Its your car, do what you like, and makes you happy". I used to get alot of guff about my BB Buick motor, but it didnt bother me, as I made it that way.  The only person who has to like the car is you, as you own it. So be happy and drive on fellow TA owner.   ;D  ;)
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
The flames are well done and it's interesting seeing them in blue.

That being said, from my own personal opinion, the flames AND the Rally Stripes are a little over the top. Not saying it isn't well done but that its a bit much to take in. As a whole, the theme was carried off from start to finish.

I'm not sure dropping the car an inch or two would change it much as it looks like the wheels are tucked in there fairly well right now. Dropping the car anymore *might* cause rubbing issues with the tires.

Hopefully you'll stick around as we are a good group of people with a wealth of knowledge on these cars. As mentioned above, you asked for our opinions and they were offered up. If I've offended you, I apologize. I only offered up my thoughts on your vehicle.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:07:44 PM by brian c »

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline xxcody2gunsxx

I appreciate the follow ups . i guess I kind of opened the door for this .asking what do you think?
 I guess I'll choose my words more wisely next go .

Brain ,  it is a bit much to take in and for me I wouldn't have it any other way . I guess its a hit or miss with this Trans am . definitely a hit for me .

Like i said before I got rid of my 1967 Camaro to snatch this Trans am . My wife doesn't understand nor do I really but I feel that I came out on top .
 the work I have to put into this car  I'm looking forward to it . cant wait to get it out on the road again .

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
No problem.

BTW: That's (2) demerits....it's "Brian" not "Brain" ;D

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline bobspacin80ta

Hope you stick around as there is a great bunch of guys and girls on here that can help with any problems you may have. Your car may not be for everyone but its a bird and it has a home here. I like it as its different,not just another Trans Am! lol
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
I like it!!!!!
 But, I like custom cars and trucks.
 I appreciate craftsmanship.
I respect others vision(s).
Being that I'm absolutely sick in the head about Trans Am's ---- I can see why many wouldn't like it.
Those are the purist. Many of them act like the only Trans Am's that matter are SE, LE, HO and SD Trans Am's.
Do I appreciate the SE, LE, HO and SD Trans Am's? HELL YEAH.
I drool for a '78 Y88.
I drool for a '72 HO.
I drool for a '77 SE.
I drool for a '76 LE.
I drool for a '69 (ANY) T/A
I also drool for Custom/Modified T/A's like yours.

Hell -- I drool for a run down "Yard Bird" rotting away behind barns and beside garages.
I'm so sick in the head about Trans Am's I feel like a little boy when I find a perfect shift knob, steering wheel, center cap, factory un-rashed snowflake. Oh --- and the Honeycombs are in a league all their own.
I trip out over the small details Pontiac had in thier cars Throughout the 60's and 70's.
Get me in a '69 Catalina and I trip out about the wipers, the old indian chief in the dash (brights), the long arrow heads for turn signals and so forth. The Ride of a '76 LeMans is tight.  Yeah--- I'm rambling. So what?
I Love Me Some Pontiac Action.
Please stick around and check out the site. The Restoration section is my favorite. That's the craftsman section and I have PURE RESPECT for  every members sweat, time and money invested into the Trans Am of their choice. Can't all be the same. Traveling the same raod would be boring. Show your Custom T/A and enjoy.
Welcome to the best Trans Am site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline kc79ta

I don't consider myself a purist. I love the look of factory restored car, but i also like looking at the visions on custom cars. Some I love, some I hate, and some are so so. It would be pretty boring if we all drove around in black t/a's with gold decals wouldn't it.

You can't ask : "Do these jeans make my butt look fat"? , and expect people here to lie to you. If you have a fat a** they will tell you.

Keep in mind those same people will crawl under their car in the gravel just to snap a pic for you. If you need to see how something goes back together. Stick around, and soak up some T/A love.
Keith

Offline xxcody2gunsxx

ShakerBreaker , That was Awesome . good stuff.

kc79ta , roger that .

Offline 89flyboy

Cody I am personally in love with the stock look of these cars, but the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I like the flashy attention getter look of the bright colors as well. I agree with others though in my opinion it needs fender vents, and maybe some marker lights. I also agree with you and I am personally not feeling the hocky puck either. I do love the detail and hard work that was put into yours as well.
These cars are so much fun to drive so enjoy it, and run the h#*l out of it the way it was ment to be run  >:D . The guys on here are full of great knowledge so any questions you have feel free to ask away and welcome to the site!
I long for the peace that only driving a t/a can bring.

Offline NOT A TA

I like the car. It's got a look that says "What if TA's were used as IROC cars?". I could go on and on about what I'd do with it but as others have said "It's your car, do what makes YOU happy!"

As far as the forums go you'll find that marque specific forums will have a higher percentage of purist members who when asked will tell you stock is best because thats what they prefer. There is also a lot of members who have their cars modified to varying degrees depending on their preferance. I guess my point is we all play nice and get along. The purists appreciate the work some of us do to modify our cars and the modifiers appreciate the effort the purists put into keeping their cars factory correct.

A lot of us are also members on other forums where modified cars are the focus and your bird would be right at home. I have both types of cars so I'm all over the place ! LOL

Here's a couple links to websites and forums you might like.

http://www.thestreetfighters.com/

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum.php

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/index.php4
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline dodgeram106

• T/A
That car looks good,I wonder how many hours went in to all that  pro-touring body work.Are there any mods to the motor. Post pictures of anymore work that you do to it...And thanks for sharing your ride......
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:59:43 AM by dodgeram106 »

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
I think it's kinda cool looking, it totally reminds me of all the heavy custom work done to cars in the 70' and 80's I think a whale tail on that thing would look good. then go with a custom white and blue interior with a set of Recaro seats and 5 point harnesses. I hope your thinking about finishing the full customization of the car and really make it one of a kind. I think it could be a total show stopper.

Offline highway star

It's interesting, think it would look cool being all white with OEM decals, your options are open, nice find, have fun with it and enjoy it!!!

Offline xxcody2gunsxx

thanks guys for all your thoughts and insights. for the time being i am working out the bugs and gonna enjoy it for a while .
 Yesterday I bypassed the leaking heater core until I can figure out how to get that panel off . the body work done to it has made it impossible to do so .
Today I am replacing the drums and rotors and slapping on some new pads . doing a compression test  and replacing the plugs and wires .

next week I am replacing the clogged and leaking radiator with a new Aluminum 3 row radiator in hopes that will help cool this hot engine.

Once I get it feeling really good . I'll start thinking about what i want to do with it as far as adding to the custom look .