Author Topic: Past Treasures!  (Read 19482 times)

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
Re: Past Treasures!
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2007, 07:09:30 PM »
I think it was a '74 (didn't have it long)...455 Olds ;D

Yep, I could tell the year by the front turn signals. That was the same size engine that ended up in our '74 (top left in the pic). ;)
Larry

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2007, 08:52:14 PM »
Yes, George, you are right, the Bandit II's were mainliy built on Firebirds.  I have seen some of the Bandit II cars with 6cyl in them as well.  Luckily, mine is the 305 V8..... but yes, it is a Firebird Bandit II.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »
Ya Brett,
The very first one I ever saw, was back around 1994.]
We went looking for car for my girlfriend, and found a 1991 Bandit II at the local dealership.
I thought it was really cool, something that I would put together (like second gen hood scoop).
I figured someone did it themselves.
So we didn't get it, as the dealership wanted big bucks for it.
A year later, I found out it was legit.
Win some, lose some (I just wonder why I lose more than I win) ;)

George  8)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2007, 04:28:23 PM »
Rick...You have a friend that IS a car??   :D :D

Hey -- if Jerry Van Dyke's MOTHER was a car, then my friend can be a car...or don't you remember that show? ??? :-\

(OK --so he got me on my typing -- the washer was buzzing telling me it's done... ::) )
Rick...You have a friend that IS a car??   :D :D

Hey -- if Jerry Van Dyke's MOTHER was a car, then my friend can be a car...or don't you remember that show? ??? :-\

(OK --so he got me on my typing -- the washer was buzzing telling me it's done... ::) )

Oh yeah, Captain Mancini the evil car collector.  A 1928 Porter convertible.  The year was 1965.  Kind of like Mr. Ed but with a car.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2007, 11:02:02 PM »
It was kind of a funny show, from what I remember. :)

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2007, 08:15:18 PM »
A little late to the party but better late than never...

These were my dad's:

71 Dodge Superbee

If my memory serves...it was a 3spd auto, 383 car. Posi was added when my dad tracked down a racer in Southern Tier NY who was tearing them out of race cars to upgrade to another setup. And he's fond of telling me he twisted the drive shaft in that car one winter when it went from ice to dry pavement and REALLY hooked up. I know the next two owners of the car - my grandfather and then my aunt. Last I knew this car was in Danbury CT being restored by some kid and my dad tracked him down after finding the ORIGINAL window sticker for it. IF you know the whereabouts of this car I'd be very interested in talking to the current owner.

**The blue car you can probably just make out is a 68 4 door Dodge Coronet. Yep my parents were Mopar nuts but the dodge local dealer took care of that when they serviced the '86 Daytona.

70's Chevy Monza Spider

3spd automatic 305 powered. My dad sold it to buy the '86 Daytona Turbo Z when the chevy dealer put the car up on the lift and showed him the front subframe was separating from the firewall. I believe it was sold to a kid who promptly wrapped it around a tree.

If I can track down where my mom put our photos I'll see about posting up the '86 Daytona.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 08:19:37 PM by brian c »

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2007, 11:49:54 PM »
3spd automatic 305 powered. My dad sold it to buy the '86 Daytona Turbo Z when the chevy dealer put the car up on the lift and showed him the front subframe was separating from the firewall.

SON OF A GUN!

I had a 1977 Olds Starfire that I put a built SBC into after the 231 V6 croaked.  It was a 4 speed and the front end would come up off the line and with hard 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.  I traded it off after the front subframe started to rip out around the passenger side upper control arm.  I found out only a couple of years ago that in order to properly handle the torque from a V8, the front subframe needed extra supports that you could weld in. :-\ :-\

I DID love that car, though.  All the capacity of an SUV with a little of the Firebird sportiness.  The hatchbacks were better -- I didn't care for the notchbacks at all. ???

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2007, 07:03:09 AM »
Yep this was a factory 305 hatchback. The subframe issue is the only reason my dad got rid of the car as it was in very good shape in '86 when he sold it. It's one of the first cars we painted together in the back yard using a spray gun my mom bought from Sears as a christmas gift for him. And the Monza was replaced by yet another hatchback - '86 daytona turbo z.

Ever have any problems with the front glass? Apparently a leak developed very early on so washer fluid (and rain/snow) would leak down into the radio which eventually caused it to blow. I still have that radio sitting in my room as a neighbor who loved to tinker took a look at it and got it to work again - no idea what he replaced/hotwired.

Hmm maybe that's why I like the TA's so much....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:24:05 AM by brian c »

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2007, 08:26:50 AM »
No, I didn't have problems with the windshield leaking -- but the trim strips around it would hum or buzz at highway speeds and it nearly drove me crazy.  I ended up shimming them with corners off the old Hollerith cards to shut them up.

It was the first car I ever owned with a cable clutch setup.  The cable frayed on us the morning we were leaving Salt Lake City and I pulled it to check it in the parking lot of a McDonald's.  There was ONE wire still holding it together.  We were due in Laramie, Wyoming that night and this was on a Sunday morning, in a Mormon town, with no garages open.  I elected to drive it nonstop and not use the clutch.  I did it.  The wife wasn't happy because there were NO restroom "breaks", and it took 7 hours because normally 400 miles was the furthest I could go on one tank so I was driving for max mileage.  I averaged 29 MPG with a V6, and somehow she managed to not pee the seat.  She was, however, rather anxious to leave the car once we got to the hotel. :D :D

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2007, 01:04:44 PM »
Definitely not anything exciting, but I came across these pictures last night while going through some more boxes.  This is the 1973 Vauxhall Ventora I drove while stationed at RAF Bentwaters, England 1981-1983.  I couldn't afford much at the time as I didn't even have any stripes when I got there and left with only two.

These are taken somewhere in Felixstowe for all you UK folks......

1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2007, 02:11:15 PM »
OMG Brian! My mom had a '75 Monza like that. I loved that car! Originally a 305 it had a 350 4spd with dual Cherry Bombs! ;D I want one like that sooo bad!
Larry

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2007, 03:00:36 PM »
Larry,

Yep they were fun. OK anyone else either own one or parents own one?? Starting to get a theme here...

Offline J-Train

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »
Heres a few of my old toys, still got the two zx-10R's and Expy  though.

A few more I did not have digi pics of... 89 GMC Sonoma- low rider first car
                                                        88 S-10 with a built 327 in er
                                                        88 Body dropped and juiced chrome yeller long be ranger, on 17's (huge for the day)
                                                        95 Shinoda Boss Mustang, wish Id have kept her
1979 W-72/WS6 t-top 1 of only 2917 made
2002 CETA #1781 of 2392 made. 1 of only 510 A4's

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2007, 08:38:54 PM »
Why do your bikes have training wheels??  :D :D ;) (j/k)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2007, 09:07:05 PM »
Yeah, don't those make it hard to corner? :-\ ??? ???

(J/K also! :D :D :D)