Author Topic: Hei or msd ???  (Read 5861 times)

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
Re: Hei or msd ???
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 07:01:56 AM »
no because the resale value is crap compared to new prices, as you said i would use what you have, i think godrokz concern was the clutter and is it worth it to have the clutter to sell used you will take a bath unless someone gave it to you
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »
Think I paid $50-60 and I know Johns motor is pretty intense but not Strictly Strip Intense!  You really only have the box, right?  The coil goes in the cap so not too much clutter, unless I am missing a component?

Offline Godrokz

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »
Mine is the msd 6A 6200 and it does have a separate coil(blaster2). Then the original hei has been gutted basically and a modified hei conversion cap goes on it that accepts a wire from the coil to feed the cap. My guess is my compression should be right in that 9.5-10:1 range.

Offline iceman

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
On another Note Joe Do you recommend the Module Bypass wires with A Crane HI6 Setup?

Hey... That is prolly the best ignition set-up on the market today. It's interesting that nobody has heard of it or runs it. I have that Crane set-up on my GTO. It's awesome! Easy install, built in rev-limiter, digital and a whole lot less than that MSD stuff. Seems like every one I know who runs MSD has an issue or one part of the system goes bad and they chase around for days/weeks trying to figure it out. Mount the crane coil on the firewall and the ignition box INSIDE the car. It helps keep it at a constant temp and dry.

Godrokz: An HEI will serve your set-up awesomely. Keep an extra module in the glove box at all times and you should be OK. 50K volts and under 6000 RPM on your set-up, right? You don't need the headache and clutter in the engine compartment. If your really spinning the motor 6K or higher or adding nitrous, then an aftermarket ignition should be considered. HTH, Mike
Check out my facebook page: River City Muscle LLC
1969 Pontiac GTO
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 01:41:35 AM »
Great Info Mike Thank You!

Offline Godrokz

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
So if go the hei route What distributor should I get? I see plenty of these distributors advertised on eBay for $60-$100. However then I see the higher-end HEI distributors up to $400 and everything in between. Which one do you pick? I know the philosophy you get what you pay for is that the case? I see summit sells one for just under $200 that is "blueprinted". What exactly is a blueprinted distributor? Any ideas on which one to pick? Or do I just buy a complete rebuild kit and put mine back together as HEI distributor and not a modified MSD

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
I would tend to just rebuild the one you have John, nothing wrong with those from what I have found and you can tailor them to your application.

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »
i agree with oldschool, rebuild yours with good quality parts, ie.. new pick up, new module, new coil, either disassemble the entire distributor and clean the shaft, weights and rebush it if you can or have a shop with a curving machine do it, new springs, as for blue printing a dist, i imagine recurving and dialing it in on a dist machine is what that is called, as for the difference between a $400 and the one you have someone has to pay for the time it takes to dismantle that dist and clean the shaft, weights, sand and polish everything and install the new parts
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline iceman

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 11:19:37 AM »
I'm a fan of the Flamethrower series from Petronix. Brand new, no wear. Drop it in, plug it in and your ready to go. Some tuning is to be required and you can swap springs if needed-which you'd have to do no matter which route you go.... Nice thing is that with a new, un worn or bushed set-up, once you put it in, no worries. Move on to other areas and rest assured you bought a quality piece and can sleep easier knowing you did the right thing. $235 thru Jegs, plus the ride. My 2¢ on that... Mike
Check out my facebook page: River City Muscle LLC
1969 Pontiac GTO
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »
Ya love the Pertronix as well but I just couldn't see discarding my original when it just need a lil LOVE!  :)
So ANYONE?  Module Bypass YAY or NAY?
John Knowing you I know you don't want to mess with that original so just get the Pertronix, not as expensive as the MSD stuff and IMO better than the Accel or Mallory! :)

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 10:51:06 PM »
I got a Flamethrower distributor for my motor. Only little feature I wish it had was a rev limiter built in. Wish someone sold a simple bolt-in rev limiter.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 01:14:41 AM »
The MSD "ready to run" and E curve distributors now all have a built in rev limiter.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline 81Turbo TA

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 02:51:17 PM »
a little story about my msd 6 ,,this doesnt help anyone,,I'm just bored. Years ago I rebuilt a 350 chevy with some decent goodies.  I used an hei distributor and the msd 6 but wasnt too sure about hooking it all up (73 engine in an 84 firebird).  I tapped an electric fan off of some hot ignition wire I found,,to me anything with 'key on ' voltage worked.   I was idling and shut the car off and the engine stayed running for  a little bit.  I kept turning the key to see what the hell was going on. then the engine came to a slow sputtering stop.   I re-started it, let it idle a bit, turned the key off and it stayed running again,,,then it came to a slow stop again.   I only realized what was happening when my eye saw the electric fan slow and stop at the same time the engine did.  With no resistor in the hot wire the fan created a current that back fed the distributor and kept the engine running.   go figure.

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »
^ Now Thats FUNNY!

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »
the fan was acting as a generator
2005 mercedes s55