Author Topic: shaker scoop???  (Read 1364 times)

Offline 79TAguy

shaker scoop???
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
i'm just curious, but why do the 70-81 Trans Ams have shaker scoops on them, and i cant think of anyother car to ever have one from the factory, let alone a decal that covers the majority of the hood, i dont want to sound stupid, but its just one of the questions i never really knew the answer to.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: shaker scoop???
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:48:47 PM »
It's all about the COOL factor  8)

:D :D

Actually some of the older Mustangs and 'Cudas had shaker scoops, too.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:53:13 PM »
Thank Carroll Shelby for the shakers and large graphics.  He was doing it in the mid-60's.  I'm not sure if anyone ran a shaker before that, but he made them cool on his creations.  Also for black/gold graphics, which had on his '67 Shelby Mustangs.

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:54:06 PM »
i'm just curious, but why do the 70-81 Trans Ams have shaker scoops on them, and i cant think of anyother car to ever have one from the factory, let alone a decal that covers the majority of the hood, i dont want to sound stupid, but its just one of the questions i never really knew the answer to.

Some Mopars and Fords had shakers and active induction as well. As I understand it originally on the early T/A's the shaker had and active flapper that opened and closed when you hit the gas. The flappers on the shakers were deactivated due to emissions control laws in 76(i THINK, somebody check me here), but they left the shaker on as a cool factor (as well as being able for the customer to drill out the shaker him/her self). The reason why the shaker points backwars is that a high pressure area forms at the base of the windshield, giving live induction that more umphf (think cowl induction Chevelle)

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:54:58 PM »
I think they killed the flapper after 1972.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:58:17 PM »
I thought that option was discontinued in 1973 when the shaker on the TA hood was riveted closed -- that they also quit using that setup on the Formula.  However, there are a couple of guys over on TAC that insist that a "functional" hood was indeed an option in 1974.  They say it was the same as the earlier (pre-73 setup) and NOT the shaker.  One of them is referencing some threads over on the PY forums, but I don't see where the people on the PY forum insisting that this was an option in 1974 really document their answers.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:36:11 PM »
Update to the snippet Jeff posted above:

The "Ram Air' option for the Formula was indeed offered right up until the end of the 1974 model year.  It is documented in the GM parts manual, although it's pretty confusing and hard to interpret.  You could order -- from the factory -- a Formula with a non-SD engine AND working hood scoops.  A poster over on TAC finally wallked me through it step-by-step, and he was right.

However, you could not get that combination with an SD engine, and you could not get the functional shaker on a TA after the end of the 1972 model year.  Pontiac paid for the R&D on the SD engine but would not certify it for the EPA with the working Formula hood.  They either could not or chose not to do so for the TA, hence the might SD engine was hampered by the stock restrictive intake system.  I think it shows how close Pontiac was to following the suit of all other car makers and giving up on performance, since the certification process had to be cheaper than the R&D effort on the SD engine.  I believe that the higher-ups at GM decided that they would never sell enough SD engines to recoup their investment and decided to call it quits before they sank any more money into the effort, and just ran with the SD engine until the EPA certification done for the 73 model year needed to be redone (in 1975).  They switched to the catalytic converter technology in 1975 (thus requiring the single exhaust converter) and that's when any serious engine work stopped.  The "HO" engine released in the spring of 1975 was 4 speed only and basically just a station wagon engine (no HO parts in it).  GM did not certify the 455 in the F-body with an automatic transmission, and when the emission regs changed again (for the 1977 model year) they dropped the 455 altogether in the F-body.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »
So the Mike is right regarding the functional shaker on the T/A being dropped after '72, yes?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »
Yep, the functional shaker option for the TA went away at the end of the 1972 model year. ;)

Offline Anderson0741

• Adv. Member
  • 1979Trans Am 4 Speed
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 11:47:14 PM »
However you can buy kits from YO