Author Topic: chevy 400 with tranny in 81 ta?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline 79TA-sdro

chevy 400 with tranny in 81 ta?
« on: February 03, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
So I came across an 81 ta  without engine or tranny. I also came across, what I am told is a chevy 400 with tranny attached. Would I be able to drip it in or no? Thanks
Sandro

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
chevy 400 with tranny in 81 ta?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 06:14:45 PM »
Yup, David vizard had one in his, and ran 11s.
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 79TA-sdro

Re: chevy 400 with tranny in 81 ta?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
Reeeeeaaallyyyyy B-) ?

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
SB Chevy 400's are great motors!!!!!!!!!
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline 79TA-sdro

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:30:41 PM »
a friend of mine has an 81 t/a with no engine or tranny for a good price. another friend knows of a chev. 400 with tranny connected. I'm going to jump on this. the ta has very minor rust, if any. and engine and tranny drove when pulled. so will they bolt right in? I would like to get this done but i want to do plenty of homework on it so i know i'm not getting myself into a mess at 16. thank you any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome! thanks
sandro

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 02:00:01 PM »
yup goes right in, no different than putting a 350 chevy motor in it...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:48:58 PM »
Depends on what you mean by "drop in".  Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious (people tell me I do that a lot :P), but the discussion above means you have to get Camaro motor mounts.  I think the fuel line is on the passenger side on Chevy and Drivers side on Olds/Pontiac - some re-routing required.  If the Chevy engine doesn't have alternator, power steering and AC brackets, you have to scrounge them up which can be a bit of a pain.

You should be good to go on cross-member, trans mount and driveshaft.... assuming the TA has those.

I think the radiator has differnet upper and/or lower hose locations so may need Camaro radiator or flex-hoses etc.....

No show-stoppers.... just stuff to think about....
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline 79TA-sdro

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:25:58 PM »
wow. thank you.^ that kinda changed my mined. i have the option to get a Chevy 400 or a Pontiac 400. i was going to go with the chev. only because it was through a friend, and finances. but now i may look into the Pontiac 400. might as well keep it in the family anyway hahaha. So knowing this if i get a Pontiac 400 what should i look for? anything special? the car has power everything, and will i need the th400, or can I go with the th350?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
sandro

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »
First I’ll say that I’m far from an expert on all this .

Does the TA in question have PS pump and bracket, and alternator and bracket?  If so then find a later-model 400 and the accessories should bolt up.  If not then a later model 400 out of a Trans Am / Formula / Firebird, with all the brackets and accessories that would be ideal (at least alt and PS – you youngsters can live with out AC right?).  That often isn’t too easy to do locally (not sure where you are).  I don’t know if a 400 out of a Bonneville has the same brackets/accessories as a TA 400 or not.  Don’t know where you live but you need to check emissions requirements and inspection requirements in your state.  Here in TX the emissions requirements on very old cars are not too bad, but ask guys from CA or AZ – emission controls / state inspection can really be a hassle sometimes when changing engines.

The TH350 is standard equipment on all later 2nd gen TA’s with auto trans and it is fine for anything short of a “seriously” built engine.  As stated, you have to get a “BOP” bolt pattern (Buick Olds Pontiac) on the bellhousing.  Chevy is different and will not bolt to Pontiac and vice –versa.  Some TH-350’s have both patterns (Chev and BOP) aka “dual pattern”.

Lastly, people do in fact drop Chevy motors in TA’s all the time, but what is no big deal for someone who’s been doing this stuff for a while may be exceedingly difficult for someone who is just getting started and has limited tools and no stash of bolts, parts, etc.  Don’t forget that time has an assignable dollar value.  For what you are about to spend in money and time resurrecting “Frankenstein” you may well be able to buy a running car or one that is more-or-less complete and can be made to run much more easily. 
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline 79TA-sdro

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
thank you. i will find out more about this car this week or early next week. I will give more details then also. But thank you for the info, good things to think about!

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:45:48 AM »
Depends on what engine was in there to begin with? the 81 came with a 305 chevy from the factory, so if it was a 305 car then the 400 should go on the same engine mounts? Or am I completely mistaken there?
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 08:04:30 AM »
That is where I'd start. I'd determine what engine/transmission was last in the car. If my skills were on the low side I'd stick to whatever powerplant went back in with the least work and the lightest hit on your pocketbook. With that said I also wanna throw out that you have to start somewhere. Buy the car if it's a good price and it's something you want. Buy the engine too if you can afford it and want it. Take it all home and stare at it....you'll start to see it. We'll help, you can use manuals, the web, etc...all kinds of resources out there. When it's done you can look back and say...Wow, I did that! The knowledge will stay with you forever. Good luck.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline 79TA-sdro

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »
Yeah thanks alot for all the help. unfortunatly that 81 car fell through. So now it looks like I may have a very good chance at getting a brown 77. the guy wants to use it as a parts car or sell it as one, but I feel that with what you just said above^ that i should and can keep it together. dont no much about it, going to go see it tomorrow will post more then. The guy also has a 79 brown T-tops  he is selling. if anyone wants it i will get more info and post pictures of it for him at a later date. thanks for all the help and info! much appreciated!
sandro