Author Topic: another header question  (Read 7239 times)

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
Re: another header question
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2010, 09:17:11 AM »
^X2 - I've ceramic coated headers and I can get in there to remove the oil filter.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2010, 01:21:05 AM »
Ok great. I am at this moment in the process of painting my headers. Right in the directions it says "the black paint on these headers is not a high temp paint. We suggest you coat them or paint them with high temp paint as the black coating on the headers will burn off within a few minutes of use" haha.
78 T/A pontiac 400- Custom Headers - 2.5 Pypes Violator header back system - Edlebrock Performer Intake - Edelbrock 1413 Carb - Head work - pro comp roller rocker - CVF bracket and pulley kit - Custom system - Recaro T/A interior

Offline Clint s

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »
POR 15 make a durable high temp paint that some have had decent results with.  Most of that spray bomb stuff will not last over a few weeks.

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2010, 05:28:16 PM »
Since the fel-pro gaskets are embossed which side goes towards the header and which side goes towards the head?? On the direction it just says if there is one steel side the steel side goes towards the manifold but that doesn't help me since it is just a plain strip of steel. it seems to me like the raised edge should mate to the header but I just want to make sure... Thanks
78 T/A pontiac 400- Custom Headers - 2.5 Pypes Violator header back system - Edlebrock Performer Intake - Edelbrock 1413 Carb - Head work - pro comp roller rocker - CVF bracket and pulley kit - Custom system - Recaro T/A interior

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2010, 04:27:43 PM »
Are there any tricks to getting the motor mount bolts out? the drivers side mount came out without a problem but the passenger side won't come out no matter what I try. it looks like the threads might be stripped on the motor mount nut, but I don't think that matters since the bolt is backed out all the way, but I still just can't get it out. I tried tapping it out with a smaller bolt and a hammer from the opposite side but it won't budge... right now its soaking in pb blaster but Im at a loss here...

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »
word of warning...be sure ALL the paint is removed from the headers before you paint w/ POR15  (POR 20 for headers) i didnt prep mine correctly and it flaked off after a few weeks

'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2010, 08:29:18 PM »
it looks like the threads might be stripped on the motor mount nut, but I don't think that matters since the bolt is backed out all the way, but I still just can't get it out. I tried tapping it out with a smaller bolt and a hammer from the opposite side but it won't budge... right now its soaking in pb blaster but Im at a loss here...

If it's backed all the way out of the threads, then it's just pinned in there by the weight.  I'd try lifting the engine just a tad to take the pressure off of it.

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2010, 09:14:11 PM »
What Rick says may be true ... if you're sure you've unthreaded it all the way.  PB blast isn't typically required - the motor bolts are usually covered in oil.  A small breaker bar and you can gently pry up the engine and perhaps it'll slide right out.  It's not going to go anywhere but use tools to tap out the bolt instead of hands/fingers...
John

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
Well after an hour I got the passenger motor mount bolt out and more importantly I GOT THE PASSENGER HEADER IN!!!!!! (This was the biggest PITA because the gasket is just a thin piece of metal that does not line up with the bolt holes) and I got the motor mount back in too haha. The drivers side will have to wait until tomorrow as i need to reroute a ruel line...

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »
Glad you like those gaskets.  I told you to get the Remflex gaskets  ;)

Look at all this experience you got suckered, I mean, talked into. 
John

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
I know I know. If (or when) these failt I will get the other gaskets. I also got the drivers side in just now after rerouting the fuel line so THE HEADER INSTALL IS FINALLY COMPLETE!!!! its amazing how $200 headers somehow cost me $1200 in the end though...

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2010, 11:35:34 PM »
Yeah, but you can't trade that memory, good or bad, for anything.  ;)
John

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2010, 12:57:37 AM »
Yeah, what i learned and harassing my dad to get off the couch and help me is priceless, I can always make more money

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2010, 12:56:38 AM »
Next header possible problem. Putting my car back together over the past 2 nights I have noticed that my transmission fluid lines are pretty close to my passenger header. They are not touching but they are close. (I can take a picture if wanted) Is this going to be a problem? I had to reroute a fuel line on the drivers side because the header was touching the line, but I know that transmission fluid is not flammable like gas. Anyone else had this issue/ did anything about it? Thanks.