Author Topic: Engine Wont Start  (Read 7980 times)

Offline oreobadr

Re: Engine Wont Start
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 08:18:50 PM »
So i have everything set up PERFECTLY... double checked everything but it wont start it just keeps cranking before i got a backfire or something but now nothing... All the wires r connected except for the grounding wire... Could that be why it wont start?
NOS is like a hot girl with an STD. You want to hit it but you are afraid of what might happen.

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »
plus when i crank it there seems to be small drops of gas firing in a gassy mist up through the carb but its not making a loud backfiring noise
NOS is like a hot girl with an STD. You want to hit it but you are afraid of what might happen.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 09:30:46 PM »
sounds like it trying to fire on the exsaust stroke.  move the #1 to the #6 , and 6 to 1 .  and see if it try's to fire on them.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »
just did backfire through the headers and I still got mist... Could the mist just be a flooded engine or a bad carb?

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »
it wont start by changing them ,  I just wanted to see if it would fire on those plugs by swapping them. and sound like it did.   so your off in the way you have it set up.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »
what do you think it could be off on?

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:11 PM »
When we were starting the other engine we had a similar problem... It wouldnt start at tdc 0 and so we just played with the teeth until it ran.. Should I just do that?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 01:54:57 AM »
did you over tighten the rockers? if your valves arent closing you arent getting compression fully, and it will do not only what you have going on, but can do some damage...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 10:34:15 AM »
It said to tighten the rockers 1 full turn past zero valve lash and I did that... Should I do a compression check? maybe i should back the rockers off half a turn and try starting it then

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 10:47:24 AM »
They also recomended taking out the inner spring during break in for the valve springs and I didnt do that could that be the reason or maybe the valve keepers werent seated?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
They also recomended taking out the inner spring during break in for the valve springs and I didnt do that could that be the reason or maybe the valve keepers werent seated?

Well you may have started wiping out your second cam then, it needs to start a wear pattern on the cam with a lower spring pressure before you start using the motor, which running it at approx 2k rpm for 20 min will do, then you place the inner spring back in and re spec all your rockers..... You are also gambling with running a motor and not cleaning out the metal that came off in the prior cam..... If it were me that motor would be out and getting a full clean through all the gallies for peace of mind, then really examining the cam for abnormal wear on loggers and lobes, Nd if its good I would follow the proper break-in procedures
Eroc

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »
I think the cam is fine right now seeing as how it didnt run... When i get home from this weekend ill take out the inner springs and try starting it again.. And I went through basically the entire motor short of taking the bearing off to check for metal shavings and i didnt see any... Do you think that was the reason why it wouldnt run though?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 03:35:22 PM »
I think the cam is fine right now seeing as how it didnt run... When i get home from this weekend ill take out the inner springs and try starting it again.. And I went through basically the entire motor short of taking the bearing off to check for metal shavings and i didnt see any... Do you think that was the reason why it wouldnt run though?

just because it didn't run doesn't mean its ok..... but also not saying its bad already too... as soon as you break the machined finish on the lobe or the slight curve on the lifter, itll just take about a few days of running for that motor to beat that cam into oblivion... its always a good rule to follow the manufacturers break in instructions, I do it every time, and had a cam wipe a lobe, it fell under warranty and got a new one for free... and they have ways of telling. If it were me, I would pull the distributor, all the plugs, and the valve covers, re-lash all your rockers and make sure 100% it is set right, then with #1 at the TDC of the compression stroke, the distributor gets dropped in the way it is supposed to, every manual on these cars covers exactly how to do all that, and as long as the timing gears are on correctly and everything is done right you should get it to start up, might have to turn the distributor some so that it will start up, as since some aftermarket cams run with an advance or retard.... but after you get it running get a timing light on it and adjust it accordingly
Eroc

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 06:58:22 PM »
So you think i should go back and take out the inner spring?

Offline oreobadr

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »
and i made sure i did the rockers and everything perfectly with the intake off... If it backfires that means that there is adequate compression so that cant be the problem..