Author Topic: What would you say my 1976 T/A is worth?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline ryeguy2006a

What would you say my 1976 T/A is worth?
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »
I am just wondering what my car will be worth when it is completed? I am very close to having the car finished and back together. I have recently totaled up the receipts from my car and I just want to see if what I have spent it actually what the car is going to be worth.

Here is a little about the car it is a 1976 Trans Am that is an original 400 with a 4 speed. I have completely gone through this car from top to bottom, front to back, and side to side. There isn't one bolt on this car that I haven't removed, replaced or repainted on this car. One of the reasons that the restoration has taken so long is that I have taken my time done things right without taking the easy way out. It has taken me almost 7 years to complete this restoration, and I am just wondering if my hard work has paid off?

The body has been repaired and any rust has been removed and replaced with new steel. It has two new quarter skins, rust free doors and rust free fenders. The whole body was painted with PPG high build primer, blocked around 7 times and sprayed with 2010 Ford Dark Shadow Gray paint, and topped off with 3-4 coats of clear. The underside of the car as well as the inside floor pans and firewall were treated with a liberal coat of POR-15 rust treatment. Several parts and brackets on the car were treated with this paint as well. Also the trim, door handles, and front dash were painted with SEM Trim Black paint.

The current engine is a 1973 400 that is .030 over with TRW pistons, stock rods and crank, 6x-8 heads, Edelbrock P4B intake, Holley 750 DP, and the stock distributor and wires. I went through the engine and put new gaskets and gave it a fresh paint job. 

Transmission is a Borg Warner Super T-10, with a factory Hurst shifter and reproduction 4 speed knob. The clutch linkage was upgraded to Rod-links with rod ends that connect the clutch petal to the clutch fork. You won't get that sloppy feeling in the petal and it feels smooth and free.

Suspension has been completely gone through with a front end kit from NPD, PTFB GT front springs, Koni Red Single Adjustable shocks, and at the moment stock rear springs w/ new stock replacement shocks. I also upgraded the body bushings to solid aluminum bushings from PTFB for added rigidity.

Brakes have been completely gone through. I currently have the C5 front brake upgrade with Stainless steel braided hoses, and third gen f-body hubs on the front. The car has new replacement master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders and pads. The rear drums have been cleaned up and painted for a new appearance. I also have a stainless steel braided hose connecting the body lines to the rear end for a stiffer petal feel.

The interior has been completely gone through and has new front seats, rear seats, new black carpet, 1973 crack free dash, custom smooth faux leather headliner, Year one Rear package tray and all other interior parts have been treated with F21 spray by Turtle Wax, which is an interior treatment rather than an interior polish like Armor All. Also, for a side note I have shaved the firewall of the AC box and plan to eventually put a Vintage Air setup in the car, so when complete it won’t have a heater or AC.

Stereo is a 1971 Am radio that has been converted to AM/FM stereo with Pre-amp outputs as well as ipod/aux input for listening to MP3 player or other. Also has the factory refurbished 8 track player that will be functional to the current stereo. The front speaker has been upgraded to the dual speaker upgrade from NPD, with their factory 3 ½ inch dual speakers. The rears are going to be upgraded 6x9 speakers and possibly a subwoofer.

Wheels and tires are Custom 17x8 rims that were made by a local shop in Binghamton, NY. They are Chromed Aluminum wheels with Goodrich tires 225 fronts and 235 rears.

The exhaust starts with a pair of hooker headers, and continues through true dual custom 3” mandrel bent system using Spin Tech mufflers and exiting using custom 3” Chrome tips that have been modeled after the factory tips. They are very aggressive looking peeking out of the quarter panel.

The car should be completed in the next few months, and I can’t wait to start driving the car. I am just curious as to what the car would be currently worth. I am sure that I am missing several things that I have done/bought for this car over the 7 Years that I have owned it, but this is what I have so far. Here is the link to my pictures http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

Thanks,
Ryan
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:36:31 AM by ryeguy2006a »

1976 Trans Am 406(.030 over) 4 speed, Dual Cooling fan, C5 front Brakes, Custom Rims
Build thread: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

Offline solargold

Re: What would you say my 1976 T/A is worth?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »
I wont guess at a value but would say for what you described and coming in around $12K is a great price for you. I have more than that in my 79 and haven't done near what you have. Not having the original motor drops the value some. I can say that a friend of mine did just as you on a 75 and was motor matching and sold it to a dealer for around $21K. The dealer then relisted for in the 30's and was last seen in the mid-upper 20's. You'll never make back the money on your time invested but certainly should not have any trouble making money off you monetary investment should you ever sell. You may want ot get it appreaised for true value for insurance purposes.
L8R G8R

Offline T/A Kid

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
I had to have mine appraised before I could get insurance, when you get finsished you will probally have to do the same thing. At the time Brett "Hitman" did a good job for me I suppose he still offers appraisal service check with him. P.S. If 12K is all you tied up you did great !
In memory of my big brother Jimmy
miss ya everyday bud.

Offline ryeguy2006a

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 02:56:01 PM »
Thanks guys, that is encouraging to hear those numbers. Like I said it isn't done, but would like to know a ball park value. Now when you go to get it appraised how do you get someone that will do a good job? I feel like if someone that didn't know jack about cars came out they would tell me that it isn't worth the true value.

1976 Trans Am 406(.030 over) 4 speed, Dual Cooling fan, C5 front Brakes, Custom Rims
Build thread: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

Offline T/A Kid

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »
Like I said above get with Hitman he know"s what he's doing, I agree you want someone who knows about  T/A 's to give the appraisal. Good luck !
In memory of my big brother Jimmy
miss ya everyday bud.