Author Topic: Car history report  (Read 7007 times)

Offline SalNat

Car history report
« on: December 11, 2007, 07:05:08 PM »
Hello to you all ... I’m going to buy a 1981 Trans Am which was imported from the US (VIN 1G2AW87W3BL113426) with California license plate (1DVA222) … I have tried carfax.com, autocheck.com and a lot of other sites to get any info about this TA but unfortunately all sites didn’t have any record about this car … so can anyone suggest how can I get this TA history report ?!!!
1981 Trans Am
2008 BMW 320

MacGyver

Re: Car history report
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:14:41 PM »
I ran the carfax report on my 88 formula and it came back 100% perfect...

Tore it apart and did some checking on the maintenance records.. turns out it was crashed atleast twice and had the odometer rolled back... those things are a joke.. they only work if the owner is honest and reports everything...

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:26:32 PM »
Yes, CarFax an other places relay on information that was submitted to them from various sources.  All of which aren't the most reliable thing to depend on.  Besides, most of thos sites did not start until the late 90's or so.  So, getting a "Clean record" about the car really does not mean anything when you are talking about classic cars.  This system will be alot better in about 20 years, but don't do alot for us now.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline SalNat

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 04:29:33 AM »
I really thought I can depend on these reports but hey after reading MacGyver experience forget it I’m not going to waste any penny on these systems … thanks a lot guys

So how do you confirm when they tell you that this is a 1 owner car?!!!
I think knowing how many owners the car had would give you a simple idea of its history.
1981 Trans Am
2008 BMW 320

MacGyver

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 06:13:20 AM »
That was one thing that I did get fro the car fax.. found out I was the 9th owner! :O  But maybe the DMV could tell you that?  Atleast how many times its been titled I would think.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 06:18:20 AM »
One other source is to get the PHS documentation on the car.  It's not the history of the car but it does contain information about the car when it bought.  What features came with the car when purchased.
Rich

Offline SalNat

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 07:32:40 AM »
Yes rkellerjr … that is the first thing I’m going to do once I purchase the car (get the information packet from PHS) but right now I’m still thinking about buying it … restoring a classic car over here in Saudi would cost a fortune and I just don’t want to invest my money in the wrong car … have to make sure the car is worthy first

I thought about contacting the DMV to ask about how many times the car has been titled but don’t know how can I do that !!!
Have anyone tried abika.com … they have this vehicle title history check they can do for you but it is a little bit expensive and I don’t know if this will get me the information I want or not!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 07:34:29 AM by SalNat »
1981 Trans Am
2008 BMW 320

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 10:00:55 AM »
Welcome to the site Salnat. Now being a car dealer, I can give you this thought. Ask the seller to scan the front of the title and emsail it to you. If it truly is a 1 owner then the purchase date will be from 1981. All state titles have a purchase date on them, usually on the upper right side. Now it may be a newer date, and have a "D" on it. This means the title is a * duplicate*,( meaning the original has been lost or ruined) and not the purchase date. If it has that, your out of luck. If I you want you can have the seller send the copy to me and I will try to decypher it for you.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 10:11:01 AM »
California?  There is no history of a smog check in California.  They are required every two years.  If the car came out of California and was registered within the last fifteen years, it should have showed up on the smog check history.  Try putting in the VIN.  This won't tell you about accidents, but it will give you a little bit of information about where the car was located.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/vehtests/pubtstqry.aspx

I believe the title suggestion only works if the car was titled and remained in the original state.  If the owner moved to another state, he may have changed the title to his new state. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:14:01 AM by ta78w72 »

Offline SalNat

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 01:42:21 PM »
I really appreciate all of you trying to help me here … this is really a great site.

Lomileta the car is already here in Saudi and it does not have any document other than the Saudi customs papers … it would’ve been great if there was a copy of the title but all what I have now is the VIN, the license plate and a car dealer who says it is a 1 owner car … the car does not look like a 1 owner car … but I don’t know about you car dealers ... you always miss or add a digit :P

ta78w72 I have tried both the VIN and the license plate and it came up with “No tests were found for this vehicle!”  … it’s getting more like an enigma for me here  ???!!!

Sal
1981 Trans Am
2008 BMW 320

Offline SalNat

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
Hey Lomileta I really like that blue color on your TA  ... the best TA color for me  ;)
1981 Trans Am
2008 BMW 320

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 02:17:13 PM »
It could be that the car was originally purchased in California but was in a county that didn't require smog checks.  Does the car have the California registration in the glovebox?

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 02:20:33 PM »
Do you know when the car was imported. If it was not new at the time, I doubt it is a 1 owner. Carfax and such dont have records on most cars before 1985 and none before 1980. The owners really dont matter, but what you should go by when buying are the PHS docs. to see if it is an original car. The originality is far more important than ownership. Meaning I would rather pay more for an original car, than a car without the right drivetrain, from an original owner.( both cars being equally in condition ).

P.S. Thanks about the car, Ive always wanted that Blue. Next I want is a Brown 78.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline SalNat

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 03:11:06 PM »
Okay according to the dealer the car was stored in a garage since 2003 … he purchased it through his partner in May or June 2007 (he is not sure which month exactly)  … according to the Saudi customs papers the car was cleared In Sep. … the California license plates which are still on the car have an expired tag (Jan 2007) … nothing in the glove compartment but there is a DMV temporary operating permit  attached on the rear window valid till JUN 2007 … the back side of the permit says in case of any question concerning registration of this vehicle contact the Sacramento DMV … now I don’t know whether all California temporary permits have the same note or only the ones from Sacramento !!!

I have ordered the PHS documents … it is going to take some time for me to receive it but this is the only option I have for now   :(  :'(
1981 Trans Am
2008 BMW 320

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Welcome to 78TA.com, SalNat!  Sorry I'm late to the party, but I've been tied up for a few days on other business. :) :) ;)

If you wish, you can always have the PHS stuff faxed to you instead of waiting out the mail service.  I suspect that would be a lot quicker than you'd get it in the overseas mail. :-\ :-\