Author Topic: Airshows  (Read 9164 times)

Offline trans am pilot

Re: Airshows
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 12:43:18 PM »
I love them. Im a (student) pilot myself. I've been twice to the Nellis Air Show in Las Vegas. And a whole bunch in Washington. Mostly at McChord in Tacoma. Plus theres lots of smaller ones around too.
1973 Dodge Dart Custom - Sold
1980 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am SE
1981 Datsun 280ZX GL Turbo

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• This nation will suffer due to November 6th, 2012
    • 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 02:23:12 PM »
Oklahoma City used to have a KILLER airshow, but I don't know if they do it anymore.

Yes, they still do, it is called AeroSpace America and it is always on Fathers Day Weekend.  What better time to have it!  :)   However it is no longer at Will Rogers World Airport after Tom Jones was killed.  He was killed in a crash of his high-technology Sukhoi Su-26M aerobatic plane in front of 75,000 spectators on the final day of Aerospace America '90.  Only five days before the accident, Jones, known and respected worldwide for his professional aerobatic skills and engaging charm, called the airshow "the greatest thing that ever happened to Oklahoma City."  He was also IIRC, the founder of AeroSpace America.  His wife took control of the airshow for several years, but after that tragic event, they lost money and had to move it to other airports in Oklahoma City.  It went to Wiley Post Airport for several years but since that airport was small, there was less displays and people showing up.  It eventually moved to Tinker Air Force Base where it is still done there today.

http://www.aerospaceokc.com/

It is a great show, when my son was small, we attended every year.  I would love to take my grandson there, but with him being in Kentucky, it is a hard to do.

Kev

79 Chevrolet Corvette
80 Indy Pace Car Trans Am
80 Indy (Festival Car) Pace Car Trans Am

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 08:39:03 AM »
One thing I know about the Tomcat............The only OTHER country that operates that aircaft is...............IRAN.............YES..........IRAN. We sold a bunch of them to Iran right before the Shah got booted out. When the Shah got booted out, the Grumman reps that were still there diabled the aircraft by removing key parts to the radar and fire controll system before being kicked out of the county. SO Iran is STILL looking for parts for the aircraft to make them air and combat worthy. And the US government doesn't want that.

So no, don't hold your breath of seeing a big, supersonic pile of flying Iranian spare parts come flying by anytime soon. They'll chop them to pieces before they risk letting those parts out.

Gunner

@80TAPaceCar

I was kind of hoping you'd say that. I went to one at Tinker a few years back, but they were talking about canceling the show, and I'd HEARD that it was going to be the last one.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 08:21:09 PM »
We sold a bunch of them to Iran right before the Shah got booted out. When the Shah got booted out, the Grumman reps that were still there diabled the aircraft by removing key parts to the radar and fire controll system before being kicked out of the county.

A friend of mine was part of the support team for the F-14s in Iran.  He's deceased now, but trust me those Tomcats aren't going anywhere anytime soon. ;)

Offline ZachAttack77TA

• If it's not fast, it's not fun!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »
I'd like to see the blue angles ,and also an F22 Raptor

I'm with RainMan. I'd like to see an F-22 in person as well. What an awesome machine.

I also have always loved WWII planes. Here's the only Mustang you'd ever catch me in. :)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:59:10 PM by ZachAttack77TA »
1997 Grand Am
1995 Trans Am
1977 Trans Am

Offline jjr

• Tech Staff
  • Fort Worth, Texas
    • The 301 Garage
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »

I've taxied past a few (F22's) at Kirtland AFB (ABQ) a few times and even
talked with a F22 driver... a very, very capable machine. <grin>

Joe
1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »

... a very, very capable machine. <grin>

Joe

And killed off by our government.  I understand the contract has been cancelled.

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• This nation will suffer due to November 6th, 2012
    • 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 03:03:03 PM »
And killed off by our government.

The Government or Obama?

79 Chevrolet Corvette
80 Indy Pace Car Trans Am
80 Indy (Festival Car) Pace Car Trans Am

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 05:16:39 PM »
Defense Sec. Gates, the Senate, and the prez killed the program last summer. However, as part of the deal, BHO also didn't get the new helicopter he wanted. ;D

Offline 80shaker

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 06:39:46 AM »
We just had a show here in MN this weekend.  It's not huge but there's plenty of cool aircraft.  I had the privilege of working with some tomcat drivers during what must have been one of (if not the) last combat deployment in 05'.  They sure were hungry.  I'd never seen a fixed wing gun run down a city street before that (quite a site).  They went winchester on all weapons before rtb.  
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money”
Alexis de Tocqueville (1835)

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
I'd like to see the blue angles ,and also an F22 Raptor

I'm with RainMan. I'd like to see an F-22 in person as well. What an awesome machine.

I also have always loved WWII planes. Here's the only Mustang you'd ever catch me in. :)

Go to the USAF Museum in Dayton Ohio. There is one there. It was one of the prototypes.

Gunner

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 08:26:38 AM »
I love the warbirds!  The p-51, of course is my favorite followed closely by the F4U-Corsair.
I have seen the Angels and the T Brirds several time and would love to see the raptor fly in person!
I concur with the notion that if you like airplanes you should make your way out to WPAFB flight museum!  Incredible collection of airplanes.
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 10:53:38 AM »
Love W-P AFB museum.  It is full of aviation history, and not just planes.  The presidential plane tour is really cool.  And there's even more birds outside those three huge hangars, including the Hanoi Taxi

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 11:11:09 AM »
C 141 Starlifter is one of the most elegant cargo planes ever built, IMO.

Gunner

Offline jjr

• Tech Staff
  • Fort Worth, Texas
    • The 301 Garage
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 03:50:21 PM »

<grin>

"elegant" and "cargo" hardly ever go together.

The 141 was an excellent design, but personally I love the
C-130 for its rugged and capable design... it has a unique
look that while not maybe elegant, has a charm all it's own.

Joe
1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com