Author Topic: Adding relays to the power window circuit  (Read 16983 times)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Adding relays to the power window circuit
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 11:14:48 AM »
That board is kind of nice.

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »
The only thing that i would do diferent is run the nuetral ( ground ) side thru the switch instead of the hot. By doing this you will put less strain on your power window switch and this is also the way that most switching in new cars work. Instead of buying four relays summit sells a relay board that has four relays installed onto it and it has nice screw terminals.

That's how I'm doing mine too. Same location - under the console. That way there's less wires running long distances.
Larry

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »
Bad76,
Interesting thought. I'm curious how running the ground through the switch instead of pos would "put less strain on your power window switch"? The same amount of current is going to run through the switch regardless of which direction it's going. And in this case, the current will be a small fraction of the current it has been carrying.
Someone before mentioned this saying that it would eliminate voltage spikes to the switch. Again, when the switch contacts touch, you're going to get a spark/spike regardless of which side the positive is on........

Randy

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 02:27:01 PM »
The board might be nice but isn't it like $60 + shipping. You can get all four relays with pigtails from the parts express web site for less than $20. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=330-073
Randy

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »
The board might be nice but isn't it like $60 + shipping. You can get all four relays with pigtails from the parts express web site for less than $20. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=330-073

The board is nice but the drawback is if one of the relay's fail you need to replace the board, don't you?  I've already got the relays anyway...but the idea of one board is really a nice solution.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2008, 08:39:08 AM »
I dropped that wiring diagram off at my auto electrician where my 78 Formula is currently stored. Hopefully he can make some sense of it and see what we come up with. Will let you know how it goes when he bothers to get to work on it again!
thanks guys