Author Topic: Lifter "Tick" - Newly rebuilt 400  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Daniel78ta

Lifter "Tick" - Newly rebuilt 400
« on: October 20, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
Hey Guys...

I recently had my 400 rebuilt in my 78 TA.. We installed the motor late september and i have put about 250 miles on it in the last 4 weeks.

This past saturday i started her up to take for a spin - and there was a very noticeable lifter "tick" on the passenger side for about 3 for 4 minutes until the motor warmed up... I was a little alarmed..!!  The "tick" went away after the motor warmed up and I took it out and put some miles on her.. Then the next day - Sunday, I started her up in the morning and the lifter "tick" was back but, it was only about 1/4 as loud as the previous day.. This time the tick went away in about 60 seconds..

Im running a crower cam with the lifter & spring kit crower recommended for their cam. Im also using Brad Penn 10w-30 oil.
I do live in Iowa, and its been about 40 degrees out when I'm starting the car.. ( a little chilly )

Do you guys think that one of the lifers might be "bleeding down" when sitting for a few days? OR is it possible there was an air bubble in that lifter from sitting?  Is this something I need to be alarmed about?  No-one wants a lifter tick - even if its upon start-up.. Id hate to have to tear down the motor to re-place one lifter..

Could it be possible that i just need to put more miles on the motor?

ANY advise or help would be great.. Im a tad bit worried..

thanks guys.
Daniel78ta
iowa

Trans Am Fever!!!

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
Re: Lifter "Tick" - Newly rebuilt 400
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »
i had the exact same thing happen after my build in the same spot and i just dealt with it, it would come and go for the most part but always there.  i put around 10K miles on the re build before i sold the car. 
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline Daniel78ta

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »
Humm.. that is a bummer..!!
I was hoping there might be a magic cure someone knew of..  Or a easy fix..

8k motor and exhaust rebuild with a lifter tick - can really take the wind out of a guys sails..!! 

if anyone has had this problem and fixed it - any advise would be great...  (I'm hoping i don't have to take the intake etc.. off to replace the lifter)

much appreciated.
Daniel78ta
Trans Am Fever!!!

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »
i had several people look at it and make adjustments and it would get a little better but go back to making a tick and was always there sometimes worse than others, sometimes barely noticeable.  i did not want  to pull it all apart again so i never did, it was that way for 4 years with me, kind of got used to it, but never liked it.
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:07:22 PM »
Sometimes an exhaust leak will sound like a lifter.

Offline Daniel78ta

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »
Ohh man.. i wish it were only a exhaust leak!! 

I'm just "hoping" that all the new parts are just finding their place..
and eventually when broke in there will be no more lifter tick on start-up..

Trans Am Fever!!!

Offline YellowJacket

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 06:05:50 AM »
My "ticking" was on the drivers side. Turned out to be an exhaust bolt that didn't get torqued properly. Good luck. Did you try removing the valve cover, starting the engine and check around with a stethoscope? That's how I found mine.

Offline LilSki

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »
I wouldn't rule out exhaust leaks. I had one that sounded EXACTLY like a lifter on startup. I was going crazy trying to figure it out. In the end I tried new header gaskets and it went away.

If it is a lifter keep an eye on your oil for metal fillings. Cut open your oil filter and inspect it. If a lobe or lifter is going south the oil will tell you. 
Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.

Offline Daniel78ta

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »
Hey guys....
believe it or not... the "ticking/lifter noise" seems to have just healed its self..!!  Upon starting there is just a tiny lifter tick but it only lasts about 1 to 2 seconds.

I changed the oil also at about 200 miles on the rebuild.  there was no metal in the oil.. All looked really good and clean.

LilSki - I will keep my eye on them header gaskets!!  I got them from Ram Air Restorations along with their oversized Headers..
-thanks
Daniel78ta
Trans Am Fever!!!

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
i changed my gaskets to aluminum hoping it was exhaust with no help. 

my tick would somewhat come and go to, at times i thought it was gone, but others it was obvious. 
1977 Mustang Cobra II