Author Topic: 78 Mayan Red Trans Am Restoration/Modification  (Read 56239 times)

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
Re: 78 Mayan Red Trans Am Restoration/Modification
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »
Big Thumbs Up.

I enjoy looking over your thread.
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline Elz

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
Thank you Mr Breaker. I appreciate the kind words. Progress might slow for a little bit. I've got to do a couple of motorcycle paint jobs to keeps funds flowing for this project.

Offline smfcpthowdy

« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »
I am really impressed with all of the work you are doing to your car.

This winter I am doing a full resto on mine as well. My car is completely modified (shaved doors, built out flares, moulded flares front and back, roll cage, shaved marker lights, etc.) I am bringing it back to factory, and by looking at your photo's, it may be longer than I anticipated.

Great work!

Offline Elz

« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »
I am really impressed with all of the work you are doing to your car.

This winter I am doing a full resto on mine as well. My car is completely modified (shaved doors, built out flares, moulded flares front and back, roll cage, shaved marker lights, etc.) I am bringing it back to factory, and by looking at your photo's, it may be longer than I anticipated.

Great work!

Thank you. I just looked at your ride, looks nice, I will follow your thread. I originally purchased mine with thoughts of painting it black like you are going to do. My wife still thinks I should, but its too late now, the firewall is painted so there is no turning back. I'm actually spraying it House of Kolor Blue Blood Red instead of the factory Mayan Red color. Have fun, they suck a lot of money out of your wallet, even when you do the work yourself.

Offline TAFEVER

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »

What tool did you use in order to cut through both panels? It looks like a very thin cut. I want to do the same to make the butt weld easier.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:23:26 AM by TAFEVER »

Offline Elz

« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »

What tool did you use in order to cut through both panels? It looks like a very thin cut. I want to do the same to make the butt weld easier.

I used a pneumatic body saw. You can also use a die grinder with a thin cut off wheel. Here is a link to an excellent demo on replacing a quarter patch the way I did it. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_0507_panel_rust_removal_2/viewall.html

Offline TAFEVER

« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
I used a pneumatic body saw. You can also use a die grinder with a thin cut off wheel. Here is a link to an excellent demo on replacing a quarter patch the way I did it. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_0507_panel_rust_removal_2/viewall.html
[/quote]

Thanks for the answer. I have used die grinder but it sure does leave a bigger gap.

Offline firebird79_00

« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2012, 11:23:11 PM »
Looking great keep up the amazing work
1977 Firebird Clone
6.6L.....soon

Offline Elz

« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2012, 10:33:35 PM »
A little update, got my stainless brake and fuel lines ran. Inline tube has a great product, looks like a mess when you take it out of the box, but everything was bent just like the factory.  Also got the gas tank installed. Can't say so much for the company that made it. They for overlooked the groove for the sending unit wires. I put some rubber padding around the areas where the tanks meets the floor as well as the area where the wires for the sending unit route. Should take care of that problem.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2012, 01:07:39 PM »
Looks great! I like the idea of using the stainless braided flex hoses too.
Steve F.

Offline PyrettaBlaze

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »
So awesome! Thanks Elz for sharing. Watching progress like this really is inspiring. How great it is to have the knowledge and resources to do the work your self!

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »
Nice. Believe we're going the stainless lines route as well
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline Elz

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »
Thank you guys. Those lines are nice, but they are a little pricey. I guess when you figure someone that offers a specialized business like that, it probably costs a lot to keep that operation going. My budget went out the window as soon as I decided to build my motor, so as long as the wife doesn't find out, everything is good.

Offline Elz

« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2012, 09:43:03 PM »
Got some suspension on this weekend. Sorry for the terrible pics, my cell phone isn't pulling its weight.

Offline 4speed76

« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »
Looking pretty sweet
1976 T/A project
2009 Honda CRV
2001 Honda Civic