Author Topic: Matt's 1975 Trans Am Restoration (finished product, NEW PICS!)  (Read 23658 times)

Offline BlackTransAm

Re: Matt's 1975 Trans Am Restoration
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
I forgot to say "you suck" >:( I wish I had one to work on
 I helped my teenager re-do one for him and now I am hooked :)
 He picked the same color scheme, must be the younger guys have good tastes, some of the 70s stuff can be pretty gaudy :P

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 09:49:49 PM »
I think the paint and the ghosted bird are awesome ideas.  Who cares about original.

Offline d123gt

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 09:54:07 PM »
If you have a painter that can pull it off do it I no candy paint and ghosting anything is a hard skill to master but it would be very cool if done right.

Offline Matuna

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 10:12:19 PM »
Haha. Yeah, some of the 70's color schemes, they were cool back in their day. I think some of the colors still look good, but others not so much. Going into this project, I was going to do the white with the blue/black bird on the hood and all black interior. But as the project moved on, I saw other TAs on this site and I've been to a few car shows since I started. Like I said, I saw that car color that I posted and fell in love with the color. I know I'm far from painting my far, but its a dream. Obviously funding the project is a constant issue. A common problem in all resto projects. I really didnt have $20,000 laying around or saved up to do a quick start/finish. I knew going in, this would take probably a couple years. Anyways, I love the feedback, glad you guys like the colors I have in mind. I will get there someday.
-1975 Trans Am in Restoration Process-

Offline Matuna

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 01:15:28 PM »
Ok guys, we have most of the floor pan replaced and re-done. The next big hurdle is the Trunk. Our trunk is bad. It had 2-3 cases of beer in there add 20 years of sitting with hot and cold weather through the years, needless to say the beer exploded and sat in there and destroyed the metal. Not to mention the possible seal leaks of the regular weather. The shop I am working out of and the buddy I have helping me is amateur in comparison to what I've seen you all post. We do not have a rotisserie, so the car body is somewhat of a challenge to move upside down or various angles. I really DO NOT want and probably will not cut out the rear quarter panels, just because our welding skills would never get those back to perfect. We have been weighing the options of what to do. Do we cut out the part portions of the trunk pan (which there are a lot of bad spots) or order a new trunk pan and replace the whole thing? If we went for the new, can you even replace the whole trunk pan without cutting out the rear quarters? It doesn't even seem like the whole pan would fit through the trunk lid hole.

If we decide to patch and repair, we were thinking of cutting out various parts and shaping and welding in new sheet metal, and or using a lot of putty and bondo or whatever. Then spraying with epoxy paint and calling it good. I don't really plan to take this to any shows, so Im not worried if it looks correct, because once we upholster the trunk, you'd never see our amateur job. I just want to know some feedback as to some options and or tricks of the trade and solutions.

Here are some pics of what Im dealing with. I know the pics are bad angles and do not show the severity of our trunk pan.

Anyways, any feedback or opinions are always welcome, or if you just look and tell me I'm screwed, give up, scrap it, whatever, I'll take it! I appreciate all of your support!

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 10:53:15 PM »
looks cool.  I just replaced my whole floor and realized someday I'm gonna have to tear it all apart and redo the quarters and inner wheel wells.  Possibly the trunk too as you do.  I'm interested how you do a trunk pan as well.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:55:19 PM by Schroeder »

Offline Matuna

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 05:29:31 AM »
04/27/13 A Ton of updates!

Hey all, I realized I haven't updated in a couple months. My project/resto is moving right along.

Bought a new(er) trunk pan from someone on craigslist. It helped out a lot in replacing our rusted out one.

Welded in

What the rear passenger looked like

A few more welds

Started to paint the bottom/under carriage

Ordered a TON of parts

Offline Matuna

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 05:45:05 AM »
04/27/13 Updates continued

Bought a new(er) dash on eBay. The guy had it in protected storage for 20 years!

I bought some SEM spray dyes and cleaned/prepped some trim pieces to give it a whirl. I think they came out great!

I sanded out the deeper scratches, then heated and straightened out the bows on the lower plastic door panels (deluxe/custom interior)

I couldn't help it, I had to bust out my new upper door panel and lay them out for a visual. I went from 6 to midnight!

Currently dyeing the other door panel and other plastic pieces. Tomorrow, we are going to get the rear end put back in and slide the sub-frame back under and bolt everything on and get it trailer ready for travel to take it up 2 hours away to have a custom paint job done.

Offline Matuna

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 05:48:58 AM »
I do have one question/concern about these headliner trim pieces. These had a plastic insert that was slid into place behind these metal trim pieces and they were already cracked and broken and when I tried to pull the rest of it out, it fell to pieces. Do I need these? If so, what do they do/provide? How can I get replacements? I have looked online and so far, no luck. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Offline 4speed76

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 08:03:13 AM »
Nice job on the build, I have sent you a PM
1976 T/A project
2009 Honda CRV
2001 Honda Civic

Offline Matuna

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2013, 11:03:39 PM »
Guys, I haven't updated in a while. I have been busy. I re-upholstered the seats, painted various interior plastics, repaired the plastic seat backs, had the dash bezel sent off and got it back restored, and most importantly, the car has been painted (but not yet cut and buffed, so its almost done)

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »
Man.... That was a ton of work!   Thanks for keeping us posted.  You're on the far straightaway heading for the last turns!

Love the CBE rotisserie (crude but effective!)

I like the "Ghost Bird" a lot too!!!

Good job!
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline Matuna

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 02:37:22 PM »
Man.... That was a ton of work!   Thanks for keeping us posted.  You're on the far straightaway heading for the last turns!

Love the CBE rotisserie (crude but effective!)

I like the "Ghost Bird" a lot too!!!

Good job!

Thank you! It has been a lot of hard work, but an incredible journey thus far. Yeah, we had to make due with a lot of crude ways of doing things. The Ghost bird was an idea and goal early on, and Im so glad that we got to do it. I cannot wait to share the finished car with all of the TA community here!
-Matt

Offline Matuna

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »
Once again, I havent been keeping up with the updates and showing you all how Im coming along. Im actually damn close now. The time left can probably be measured in weeks. Im so excited too! I will let the pictures speak for themselves on the work Ive done.

Well there you have it. All up to date for now. I will post the final pics in the coming weeks. She will be finished soon!

Offline T/A Addict

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 06:41:50 AM »
Incredible looking T/A and excellent job on her. Can't wait to see her completed!!
Jeff
2016 Victory Cross Country
2010 PCP Dodge Challenger
79 TATA
79 T/A Auto Solar Gold
69 Firebird