Author Topic: Manual crank to power window conversion  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Dingo6789

• Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die. - Hunter S.
Manual crank to power window conversion
« on: June 03, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
Been digging around and found some great info on wiring schematics for the 4 relay system and window motor swaps, but can't seem to find any suggestions on conversion kits for the manual crank windows on a 1979. I know i need to change out (or mod) the center console to fit the window switches as well as make up the wiring harness. The way i see it i can either buy a couple of reman motors and mod the door to fit or i see they make kits that mount to the old crank. Not sure which works better, was looking for some suggestions.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Manual crank to power window conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:59:14 PM »
Apart from sourcing good used parts, no one makes new window regulators for power windows (or did when last checked). But you can can get these conversion kits, which, without checking (lazy) are likely the manual regulators with custom parts to suit. Either way, they'd probably be the way to go since the rest are 40 years old and worn out anyway. Motors, bushes, guides, all in one go.

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/camaro/parts/fwk103.html

Offline Dingo6789

• Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die. - Hunter S.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 09:31:30 AM »
Yes! Thats the conversion kit i have been looking for. Thought i had seen it before on Classic Ind. but couldn't find it again. The kits i have been seeing are some little motor that slips over the existing manual crank and don't look like they work too well (you get what you pay for). This is definitely what I'm more interested in. I believe i saw a post on here with a wire diagram and harness make up. Thanks for the help!
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 02:16:53 PM »
I would suggest you stick with manual windows.  The power windows aren't very good even with the four relay system.

But if you're going to go to power windows, you might as well as power door locks.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 04:09:02 PM »
What have power door locks got to do with windows? Central locking is one thing but the power locks from factory don't achieve anything, press a button instead of lock snipper next to it.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 05:40:08 PM »
Because you're in there running the wires for the power windows.  That would be the time to add power locks.  Also, if you're lifting the wiring from a donor car, they usually have the power door locks too.

Personally, I prefer none of that stuff.  When I ordered a firebird in November 1977, I didn't want power windows or power door locks.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
Aah true. I never saw the point of the factory power locks, moreso the chrome switches. But i have added central locking, no keys near paint, so has power locks but not the silly separate switch.

Offline 1970RA3

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:26:09 PM »
Just wanted to chime in and ask how it was going on your PW, PDL conversion project I am to do the same on my 70