Author Topic: wiring issue  (Read 590 times)

Offline Mitch5690

wiring issue
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »
I was reading up on the post like 4 down from this one and thought id give mine a try. Recently installed an engine, 301, original, so new starter. Every time i go to start the car it just dies, you can hear the starter try like on a car the battery all but dead then just nothing. I get interior lights, headlights and everything and the guy that installed the engine says he got it to start by jumping from his dodge ram and a new battery he had. Now my question is does this sound like a ground wire i missed or lose? I know they have the negative battery cable hooked up to the block. I had the redneck next door just crawl under it and use a screwdriver to touch both bolts on the starter together and he did get a nice shock. >:( Anyway would love to hear your 2 cents

Offline bobg

Re: wiring issue
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »
Make sure you have good connections at the battery cables. If all is good and battery is charged then check for tight positive on the starter and good ground on motor.To check the ground quickly, you could run a jumper cable from ground on the battery to a good ground on the motor such as a alternator bracket and try.
79  TATA 400 W72 4spd
79 gold 400 4spd w72 T top
74 superduty 455 4spd
70 Trans am Ram air 4speed

Offline Mitch5690

Re: wiring issue
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:36:55 PM »
 ill have to give that a try then see what that does, thank you