Author Topic: Trans am SE fraud?  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Dutchtransam

Trans am SE fraud?
« on: November 30, 2006, 05:39:17 AM »
Hi guys this car dealer is selling this car as a special edition.. It looks to me that the decals on the hood and side are all wrong what do you think here is the pic

Price USD 16,914

This car (another dealer) is being sold as a normal trans am  but has some SE features

Price USD 14,082

What do you guys think whats the story with the small redlike bird?
y dream car since I was 3 years old -1978 transam- black n gold...... Looking for one

Offline Dutchtransam

Trans am SE fraud?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 05:41:04 AM »
I guess the autotrader pics are protected sorry for that If you want to look just post copy and paste them in yr adress bar

Again sorry
y dream car since I was 3 years old -1978 transam- black n gold...... Looking for one

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Trans am SE fraud?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 10:11:57 AM »
Looks like a nice car.  You'd have to check the build sheet or the body cowl to determine if it's an SE.  It does look like the wheels have been painted.  The edges should be unpainted, but that's very easily fixed.

The hood bird is wrong as is the birds on the sail panels.

So, the same car at two different dealers at two different prices?  

Nice looking car.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Trans am SE fraud?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:13:30 PM »
yes, I see alot of things wrong with the car and decals and wheels and such.  I can do a list if you want me to, but I agree with ta78w72.  Check for a build sheet or PHS documentation on the car.  Alot of people claim thier cars are SE cars just because they are black.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Dutchtransam

Trans am SE fraud?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 01:11:45 AM »
It appears after some investigating that both cars are the same car as some of you saw already..VIN nr 2W8727N the more expensiven seller bought the car from the cheaper one

strange story

Offline americansportscars

Trans am SE fraud?
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 03:51:56 AM »
Hi everybody,

This is an email from the Dutch company that offeres the T/A you discuss. To bad people use the word fraud when they haven't actually seen the vehicle. Especially when they live only a two hour drive away. We currently have 5 Trans Ams, three Firebirds and one Formula for sale. When you are a F-body enthousiast, probably a visit is worth it.

No build sheet in the car anymore, but is an unwelded body with a nice interior and 100% technical condition. Too bad that cars like this are always sold for export and don't stay in The Netherlands, so we can see it at meetings, etc.

We kindly invite every real T/A enthousiast to come and have a look at our Trans Ams. We regularly have rare versions. Check yourself before writing to a forum like this about fraud.

American Sportscars wishes you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Piet
ww.americansportscars.nl Katlijk The Netherlands Europe

Offline Zulu

• http://groups.msn.com/TransAm1978
Trans am SE fraud?
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 04:08:53 AM »
Quote from: "americansportscars"
Hi everybody,

....To bad people use the word fraud when they haven't actually seen the vehicle. Especially when they live only a two hour drive away.....

....We regularly have rare versions. Check yourself before writing to a forum like this about fraud.....Piet

In defense of the original post, the title of this topic is "Trans Am SE Fraud?", with a question mark. So that means the poster is either asking or wondering if the car is a fraud and not making a statement that it is. Apparently, some decals are not original so the title of the topic seems to be a legitimate one. True Trans Am enthusiast often question authenticity when something isn't quite right even if the car ulitimately proves to be authentic. If all the posts above are read carefully, no one actually said the car was a fraud. So please check yourself and what folks actually wrote before writing to a forum like this.
 1978 TA W72 4sdp, WS6, Orig Owner -
- If there's nothing to do, I believe in doing nothing -

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Trans am SE fraud?
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 12:04:32 PM »
Yeah, what you said!

Without the build sheet it's getting impossible to tell these days. I would summon all the help I could get too.

As a seller of a TRUE SE I would invest the 35 bucks to document the SE and there would be no question then.

How does the saying go? It's always best to err on the side of caution!
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!