Author Topic: I need these dash connectors and wires identified.........................  (Read 2610 times)

Offline jcurrieta

• Trans am NUT
Hey guys....
Im in the mix also of hooking my dash all back up (bought it from previous owner like this) and was in the need of finding out what these wires are for from the harness under it.
All these pics are in somewhat of an order from left to right on the dash harness.

also theres 2 other problems I dont show in the pics:
1- I cant find the plug on the harness to plug in my drivers side door p/windows.
2- near the connectors in pics 7 & 8 there a a few cut off wires (Grey, Pink w/blk, yellow, brown w/white and brown) also theres a ground black wire that needs to bolted down somewere, not sure where.

heres the connectors/wires i need help identifying....
#1 These wires i assume go to the back of the car but not sure what there for....1 black with ground end, 1 purple with plug

#2 3 wire plug (heavy type wire) along the very top of dash on left side....i thought it was for the p/w but it doesnt match

#3 1 wire plug (green)

#4 There's 1 tan wire with just metal on the end coming out near the top of the fuse panel

#5 Its a bolt on connector (is this a diagnoses type connector,,, where abouts does it bolt to)

#6 This is a single black wire comeing out of the speedo bulb and looks to be broken off as theres only metal on the end of it.

#7 2 wire plug 1 brown or black (is cut off) and 1 orange wire

#8 dual plug connectors with one wire grey (one is cut)

#9 2 wire plug 1 orange & 1 lack or brown w/ white stripe

#10 2 larger long type connectors (guessing one is for the radio?) one 5wire plug (purple, orange, black w/white, green, brown) & an 8 wire plug w/one stray yellow cut wire (brown, orange, brown w/white, lt. blue, white w/black, pink w/blue, dk. blue, tan w/black)

#11 3 wire plug green, black or brown w/ white, brown

#12 1 wire plug orange

#13 3 wire plug (not side by side) orange, black, white

#14 wide plug (room for 5 wires but only 3 used) yellow, green, 2 together brown w/white wires.

#15 (no pic) 1 wire plug black wire

'80 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car
'81 Trans Am (Y84 recreation) "SOLD"
'96 Trans Am LT1 "SOLD"
'82 Firebird (Trans am clone) "SOLD"
'81 Firebird (1st car) "Wrote off"
'98 Trans Am Ws6 Ram Air "SOLD"

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: I need these dash connectors and wires identified.........................
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »
Another where's Waldo!

1st picture: Purple wire is for the rear window defogger.  That wire shouldn't go into the trunk.  It connects under the plastic cover on the rear drivers side seat.  The balck wire..only single black wire that goes to the back of the trunk is for the trunk release solenoid.  Do you have a yellow trunk release switch in your glove box?

2nd picture:  Not sure...what color are the wires.  It's hard to make them out from the picture.

3rd picture:  Windshield wiper

4th picture: Ebrake switch wire

5th picture:  Not sure...what year car is it?

6th picture:  Not sure

7th picture:  Does your car have a digital clock?  Other than that, orange is usually associated with courtesy lights.  It's always on power.

8th picture:  A wild guess is that this is associated with the seat belt warning system.

9th picture:  Not sure

10th picture:  Connector on the left is your directinal signal and hazard flasher connector.  The one on the right I'm not sure, but it would plug in on the steering column.

11th picture:  Not sure

12th picture:  That white connector is for some courtesy lights.  It might be unused.

13th picture:  Courtesy lights. 

14th picture:  Another guess....seat belt buzzer timer

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 01:08:25 PM »
#1 - Purple plus is for the rear defogger.  Black is a ground b ut that does not look like a factory one (can you trace it back?).
#6  - is the ashtray light.  Runs from there to the top of the ashtray.
#8 - looks like that one is for the power locks.
#10  - is on top of the steering column.
#12  - is the power trunk replease.  You should also find a black wire that has a plug just like it (possibly #15 with no photo).
That is all I could tell off the top of my head.  I can pull out the wiring diagram for the rest.

In response to TA78W72's post on #1, that is not the trunk release wire.  The black trunk release wire has a plug on the end and not that circle connector.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 01:10:10 PM by Hitman »
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »
I think that black wire has been cut and the round connector added.  Otherwise, there shouldn't be a long black wire like that....he'll have to trace it back.

Picture 12 is not the solely the power trunk release.  It's the multifunctional connector that accepts the glove box light harness, the courtesy kick panel light harness, or the deluxe harness that has the kick panel lights, glove box lights and power trunk release connector.

Brett, have you seen a 77 or later car that had no glove box light, kick panel lights, but had the power trunk release?  I could have thought that the only way you could get a power trunk release was by getting the deluxe harness that had all three options.  However, Joe Bays says he's seen them.  I think he's confusing the years.  The earlier years I think it was available like that but I've never seen a late model second gen car with that sole option.

Offline Joker (§ir£Ðragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 02:41:12 PM »
ta78w72, his car is an '81 (sig).  Pic #5 is the computer diagnostic connector. It attaches to the bottom of the dash so a scan tool can be attached for checking trouble codes.
Larry

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 03:04:48 PM »
I didn't realize they made cars beyond 1978! ;D

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 03:06:51 PM »
Yeah, that's when they went all "Buck Rogers" and started adding computers to them. ;D
Larry

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 03:07:23 PM »
#2 is either the pw harness - center console wiring harness plugs into this OR its the pl harness. I can't remember which but its one or the other.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline jcurrieta

• Trans am NUT
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 03:40:02 PM »
see most of the dash was hooked up when i got it but things that i dont know what to hook up cause they were disconnected are the power windows and swich, p/trunk, and lights...... so alot of your answers sound pretty on. ill try and track down my missing power window switch haness and look into finding a power trunk harness some where it might be in boxes.

does anyone have a idea what the cut wires not pictured are for???

also why do i have a computer diagnoses if i dont have a computer.....mmmm maybe it was cut off its a factory sbc car with a 403 swap now??? would any of those plugs be for a puter??
'96 Trans Am LT1 "SOLD"

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 03:52:50 PM »
The '81s had computer controlled carbs. There was a computer under the front of the center console. It wasn't anything like what we have in today's cars, but it was there. lol

I don't see anything that looks like an ECM connector in your pics. But then those really early ones may have been different than what I'd recognise.
Larry

Offline jcurrieta

• Trans am NUT
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 10:21:15 AM »
mmmm ok ill take a look??
'96 Trans Am LT1 "SOLD"