Author Topic: My new project - 78 plain jane 'bird (new pics 5/25/10)  (Read 26631 times)

Offline BusDriver

Re: My new project - 78 plain jane 'bird
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 05:57:35 PM »
Fair warning, it looks (to my untrained eye) like a TA shaker hood with that scoop grafted on. The scoop is fiberglass and cracking some...

I'm in Charlotte NC.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's worth it...

Offline BusDriver

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 06:06:43 PM »
Actual Update - I fix something.. really.

The drivers seat was really loose, I took it loose and found the track broken.

Embedded in the carpet, the missing bits...

bench grinder, wire wheel, and a few minutes to tack them in place... they fit!

So, finish them up, making sure to reinforce them so they cant bend. Whatcha think?

So i contemplate the motor, and wonder what is all this mess?? the stuff on/near the thermostat housing...

And a threaded hole behind the carb....man, I need some advice... I'm 100% new at this.

Offline 1978TransZeppelin

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 06:22:03 PM »
oh alright well thanks anyway! ;D

Offline stephendsp

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »
im looking at my chevy manuals to see what i can help you with. Do you know what year the motor is? makes a difference on some parts. Looks like a nice project, but a pre-warning... what rust you see now, you can expect more hidden under the paint. Good luck, and keep us posted. Depending on what you want when finished, a new harness might be your best bet.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »
I'm not the SBC expert but those holes and devices on top your engine are thermal sensors and switches (and places to put such things) for the emissions control system.  If you need them for testing in your area, you'll have to figure out what they were used for an get them back in working order.  If you're not worried about emission controls, those are standard size NPT threads and you can get square drive plugs at the NAPA or local auto parts places to properly seal them.

Offline stilwel2

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
Busdriver it looks like you are around the corner from me! that storage area looks like independence blv! Iam close to WT Harris

Offline BusDriver

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 11:51:49 PM »
It is Independence. I'm down near 485 + S. Tryon with the car now... wanna come help me figure out this jumble of wires and weird engine?

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 01:06:22 AM »
BusDriver,
   I see you got it home and got started... good going.... Bet I will find you at the Spring Auto Fair this April  searching for parts... its where I got the majority of mine. If you go and you locate the trailers for AMES Performance Enginering and Performance Years dont get flustered if they do not have the part your wanting on thier trailer.. they will ship to your door at no extra charge plus you can haggle thier price some ( not much but some) And since your right in Charlotte there is also NPD ( National Parts Depot ), becareful with these guys they sometimes would try to slide in a camaro part saying its the same....but other than that they are a good group as well, Just a frendly heads up.

As for the wiring and vaccum lines and switches.. find out the SBC  SN# on the front left bank on the block where the head meets the block. take that number and call a Chevy dealer parts department and they can tell you what displacement as well as what year and car the engine came out of, if its way off from a 78 then go with the 78 vaccum emmisson diagram, the saftey inspection will go a lot easier that way, make it look as clean and original as possible so as not to toss up too many flags. You should only have to be concerned about this for another 4 years than after they ( the car) are 35 years or older you can skip the inspection all together. My guess is the engine has been replaced in the past with a later model... something after 85 more than likely. A good dealer to contact to get this info would be Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet in Newton.... they have always been curtious to me....
   YOu got the beginings of a fine project... cant wiat to see it completed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:16:26 AM by rarebird »
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »
no go to richard petty pontiac! I didnt know dale owned his own car lot? is this dale sr's or jr's lot? and if its sr's you should ask the manager to get you the owner you have a customer complaint....sorry had to do it had too. forgive me great late dale sr.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline BusDriver

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 09:50:39 AM »
According to the seller, the engine last ran about 6 months ago.

As to the block, yeah my next thing is to get the casting #s from block, heads, and intake and look it up to see what this thing is. It better be a 350 like I was told...

I'll also lookup the carb, see what it really is.

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 10:04:43 AM »
Whatever, Rick.

Here's some links that may help you, BusDriver.  I know they are Camaro sites but they have some pretty good info on casting numbers and the suffix codes stamped on the front of the block that Virgil was describing.

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-chevy-engine-block-codes.asp?group=6
http://www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.html
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 10:25:23 AM »
no go to richard petty pontiac! I didnt know dale owned his own car lot? is this dale sr's or jr's lot? and if its sr's you should ask the manager to get you the owner you have a customer complaint....sorry had to do it had too. forgive me great late dale sr.

Yes the Late Dale Earnhardt has a dealership near me in Newton , NC. I have actually met the man there on a few occassions. Its still in operation and from what i have been told will remain in operation thanks to his wife... Here is the link ...

http://www2.earnhardtchevy.com/
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline BusDriver

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 11:08:09 AM »
I took a swing by there this morning walking the dog.

Block casting 3970010 - GOOD
Intake casting 14057055 ( I thought)

closest intake I can find is...
1978-85     14057053    305,350    4   al   Qjet   Pass, Camaro, Truck
I guess I misread the last number.

I didnt have time to find the head numbers, I think I need to pull a valve cover.

I also popped the bulkhead connector off the firewall to make it easier to work on. The wiring diagram is starting to make sense.

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 11:40:58 AM »

Yes the Late Dale Earnhardt has a dealership near me in Newton , NC. I have actually met the man there on a few occassions. Its still in operation and from what i have been told will remain in operation thanks to his wife... Here is the link ...

http://www2.earnhardtchevy.com/
that is amazing and i thought iwas a great dale fan i didnt know of his dealership. that man was a great man i did meet him here once very humble guy for looking as i do like your always mad lol.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline BusDriver

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Well crap....
Some more investigation reveals the engine isn't worth a poo.

Heads are 14402601 - small chamber 305 heads... unless they've been reworked for big valves, ugh. plus, the rockers are loose.... they shouldn't be loose should they? I can wiggle them easily with my fingers.

I got the numbers from the Qjet, but left the pad in the garage. I'll look those up later.

But now I'm thinking of options.

Oh, the trans looks to be a BOP T350 with an adapter plate. Is that a problem?