Author Topic: dash harness short  (Read 967 times)

Offline 172D

dash harness short
« on: August 23, 2014, 09:04:57 PM »
I somehow fried the dash harness in my 76 TA a couple of days ago.  I was finishing the engine install, connecting the negative battery cable, and preparing for the initial start up.   I sensed the cable getting hot and immediately disconnected it. I noticed some smoke from the harness with the fusible links.  Then I noticed  more smoke in their interior.  The fusible links were not burned although the insulation was split in several places and exposing the wires.  Inside, I found the dash harness melted around the headlight and wiper switches.

While the engine was out, I rebuilt the heater box and heater control cable/switch assembly.  None of these wires or connections were damaged.  I also removed the engine harness from the junction block and the wiper motor and refinished the firewall.   

I haven't really gotten into it yet, but I can't understand how the interior harness shorted in an area that I didn't disturb.  Or why none of the fuses blew.  How can this much current bypass the fuses?  Any hints on tracking down the cause?  I don't have a wiring diagram (yet).  Perhaps that will help me understand.  It looks like a new harness takes 6 to 8 weeks, so I doubt the car will be on the road until next year now.  Regardless , I can't install new wiring until the source of the problem is solved.

Seeking advice.  Thanks.