Author Topic: fiberglass hood resto  (Read 844 times)

Offline whiterabbit

fiberglass hood resto
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:02:24 PM »
I touched on this topic on another thread; has anyone had a fiberglass firebird hood repaired (1970s formula ram air) and what were the results? I dont have a problem jobbing this out if I have to, but I am looking for a high quality finished product. (who isnt, right?) The main area i am concerned about is the vent slots near the windshield end of the hood; some are broken and need to be replaced. There is also a large crack (no missing pieces) near one of the snorkels, however I think the small detail work around the vent slots would be the more difficult of the two repairs. Any suggestions and results are appreciated!

thanks!

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: fiberglass hood resto
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:05:01 PM »
where are you located.... might be able to recommend somebody.. and as long as you have somebody willing to take the time and dedication to fixing it right you wont have a problem!
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline whiterabbit

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:48:29 PM »
I live in Maine

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:54:13 PM »
crap... well if you ask around, and see how people would say they would fix it... and post back up I can tell you whether it sounds good or not....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:01:07 AM »
glass is very easy to fix.    use real fiberglass mat to fix it.  not that nylon mesh junk.     V  out the cracks (both sides)  if you can get to them.  and fill them. 

but before you do all that work.  install the hood and make sure its not warped in the center of the fenders.  some bow up from sun rot.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED