Author Topic: NOS Firebird & TA Pillar Emblems 4 Sale  (Read 5518 times)

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: NOS Firebird & TA Pillar Emblems 4 Sale
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 11:14:52 PM »
1st pic looks repro...2nd pic looks OEM
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• This nation will suffer due to November 6th, 2012
    • 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 07:22:17 AM »
1st pic looks repro...2nd pic looks OEM

Huh, not sure why that is, but they are both OEM.

This one came off of a 1978 Silver TA with red interior.

This one came off a 1977 Formula that was wrecked within it's first year of being new.

I know this as I took them off myself.

On the 1978 the lady that ordered it she ordered it without the hood bird, when it came in she didn't want any birds on the car period.  I was 15 and worked for the local Pontiac dealer for a weekend, the dealers owner bought my services from the FFA slave sale.  It was basically a dream come true since I was going into the body repair business and got to work for the dealer's body shop.  The 78 TA just came in from the factory when I took them off.

The 1977 Formula was at our local salvage yard when my dad and I went looking for parts.  I bought them and took them off myself as well.

So why does everybody think that the first picture is not OEM?

Kev

79 Chevrolet Corvette
80 Indy Pace Car Trans Am
80 Indy (Festival Car) Pace Car Trans Am

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
The points/angles are crisper on one vs the other...also the "textures" in the feathers differ between the two...just an observation. (not arguing their origins though as you were there)

The heads of the birds are shaped slightly differently also

Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 09:34:13 AM »
The points/angles are crisper on one vs the other...also the "textures" in the feathers differ between the two...just an observation. (not arguing their origins though as you were there)

The heads of the birds are shaped slightly differently also

I'm not arguing that they aren't different, they are very different styles, but that does not
make them Non-OEM/Factory.  One thing I have noticed is GM was never consistant, they
used what they had on hand when the cars were produced.

Kev
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:46:57 AM by 80TAPaceCar »

79 Chevrolet Corvette

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
Weird.  After owning 70+ of these, I have seen discrepancies in the cars from time to time.  But I have never had one with the salilbird design like your upper one.  I did order a replacement set once, a few years ago, and they were like that.

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39:49 AM »
So why does everybody think that the first picture is not OEM?

Kev

i dont think we are saying the 2nd pic is not "oem"  we are saying its a gm repro,  meaning they arent the original style like the 1st pic.  at some point gm made the 2nd pic style available & they are not like the true originals shown in the 1st pic or the left side of bretts pic.  they are all gm parts,  not oer or pui repro... just not original gm.  

at least thats how i understand it, if that makes sense.  i wish i could find the thread about true nos vs repro nos brett did awhile ago.  made perfect sense & cleared up alot of misinformation about nos gm parts.    

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:44:18 AM by 78w72 »
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 12:06:41 PM »
I dont think we are saying the 1st pic is not "oem"

Understood.

Meaning they arent the original style like the 2nd pic.  at some point gm made the 1st pic style available & they are not like the true originals shown in the 2nd pic or the left side of bretts pic.

I'm not trying to put a wrench in the fan of knowledge, but the one in question I have below is from
an original TA straight from the factory.  I not only took the emblem off the car, but I watched them
unload it from the hauler and was the one that prepped it for the new owner.  I'm not arguing they
are/aren't identical, I'm saying that the factory/assembly plant did use different ones.  At what time
frame they used/changed them or from what factory/assembly plant produced the TA's I have no clue
or even how long they used them for that matter.

My knowledge is on the 1980 Indy Pace Car, and I know there were several discrepencies in parts and styles
depending on which factory/assembly plant produced them and more so on the actual ones that were used
at Indy for either a Festival Car or an Actual Pace Car used on the track.  There was no rhyme or reason for
them doing this, they were just using the parts that they had on hand at the time.  The more I talk to
my buddies that worked at Van Nuys, the more I learn on how they built these and why they did certain
things.

79 Chevrolet Corvette

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »
i agree that gm used whatever parts they had on hand at the time & that there is consistantly conflicting info about all aspects of these cars.  there must have been a date or timeframe that they changed manufacturers of parts,  including these sail panel emblems. 

maybe the emblem in your 2nd pic was from a very late production dated car & the plant it was made at started using the "other" design emblem.  actually i like the 2nd one better,  just looks nicer to me.

wheres that "nos"  thread brett? 

78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »

You mean this?  http://www.78ta.com/nos.php
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 05:55:49 PM »
I don't like arguing or anything either.  I just go by what I know and what I can prove. 80TAPaceCar, if you could flip that emblem over and take a photo of the back of it with the GM part number on it, then I can track it down and see what it says.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »
80TAPaceCar, if you could flip that emblem over and take a photo of the back of it with the GM part number on it.

I just got in from the garage, there is not a number on it, matter of fact there is not one on any one that I do have, even the one that is said to be a "True" GM NOS.  I know what is going to be said, as I have seen your page about GM NOS and GM Reproduction.

I'm not trying to dis-credit anybody, I'm just curious.  I have seen multiple posts on here about this topic and I finally wanted to know.

All I know is I have both emblem styles and I know where, when and how I got them.  It is what it is, not sure what to think.

I even have the GM NOS Nose Emblem, but it is in the new GM Reproduction Box and yes it does have the number on the back of it.  The "Blue" is a darker color than the one in the picture, but it is the new GM Reproduction box.  I boutht it from Performance Years 4-5 years ago.  I'm going by the write-up on the webpage:

http://www.78ta.com/nos.php

Like I said, I am not trying to create an argument or even trying to dis-credit anybody, so I guess I have not really accomplished anything as I'm still un-decided.

Kev

79 Chevrolet Corvette

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 11:05:02 PM »

You mean this?  http://www.78ta.com/nos.php
thats the one.  makes sense that the 2 sail panels pictured are a level one & level 3.  no arguing from me either.  i have no way of "knowing" anything for certain,  just what i have seen in 20 years of owning these cars.
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 06:04:38 PM »
I will pull my original one out that I took off my car and take a photo of the back to show you the GM part number that should be on there.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 07:08:39 PM »
I will pull my original one out that I took off my car and take a photo of the back to show you the GM part number that should be on there.

I'm not doubting you. 

But how do you explain the emblem I have pictured that was taken off the car when it was straight from the assembly plant in 1978?

They did not have re-pops at that time.

79 Chevrolet Corvette

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »
But how do you explain the emblem I have pictured that was taken off the car when it was straight from the assembly plant in 1978?

They did not have re-pops at that time.

Not gonna try and explain it.........
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am