Author Topic: good brands to strip 78 formula nose and bumper?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Axlove78

good brands to strip 78 formula nose and bumper?
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:24:23 PM »
Hello All, I'm digging into the restoration of my 78 formula, and I was curious if anyone has any recommendations for paint stripper for the front nose and rear bumper. I'm pretty sure it needs to be poly-urethane specific, but any information on how to strip these would be appreciated.
Axlove78

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: good brands to strip 78 formula nose and bumper?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:01:12 PM »
I had mine soda blasted, no messy residues that may harm future paint from adhering. Be aware that you will need to remove any decals and stripes beforehand, guys who blast aren't always the sharpest thinkers. My 78 nose came back with slightly raised Formula lettering where they had gone over the decals, will sand smooth, but really...

It worked really well on the rubbery front and rear skins, not so well on the rear spoiler that marked more. I'm sure that a decent blaster knows to change his gun or shoot differently, the one I went to didn't. Still a solid base to use, just needs a shot of hi-fill. The fibreglass inner support in the nose was another area that was etched a little more than wanted. The nose skin had shrunken and I couldn't easily remove it and the different materials are hard to blast separately, or if you are disinterested in your profession as a blaster. The dramas I had only came down to operator.

78 front bumper soda blasted by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

IMGP0149 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Offline Axlove78

Re: good brands to strip 78 formula nose and bumper?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
Okay, thanks so much for the suggestion! Do you have a rough estimate of what soda blasting these would cost? Thanks again :)
Axlove78