Trans Am Information > Trans Am Information

PHS window sticker

(1/1)

RickDs78ta:
Pic of PHS window sticker for my car. Only thing not shown is radio/cb power antenna package that was dealer installed for $763 which made total cost of car $9,325.00. This was a 100% full optioned car so will give others a total price list of each option in one place. Hope this helps

whtebandit:
Your dealer sticker raises some interesting comparisons to mine.
Mine is also a reproduction by PHS

Dealer Stiker VIN out by david.mitchell54@rogers.com, on Flickr

The MSRP is the same for both cars. This makes me question the prices on my sticker as the US and Canadian prices are always different and not in favour of the Great White North even when the cars are assembled here.

A TA sold in Texas with rear defrost?  I bet not many with that option in US south in 1978. On the other hand AC was by no means the universal choice in Canada as it was in the US at ~ 10% of the MSRP. 

Note that the Standard equipment lists Kilometer/Miles per hour speedometer - this was just after Canadian conversion to metric in 1976.

No W72 engine option?  Was that rolled into the $324 for the WS6 Trans Am Special Performance Package?  The difference at $75 is the cost I recall the W72 was listed at.

Back in the day you could really pick and choose options to match you desires - imagine being able to spec HD cooling and for only $56.

RickDs78ta:
 I was mad at the Chevy dealer down the street for asking $10,000 over sticker for a 1978 corvette pace car, so I went straight to the Pontiac dealer and told him I wanted to order a trans am with every option no matter the cost. The car could have come with furry dice hanging from the rear mirror and I would have bought it, I was that mad at the Chevy dealer when I ordered.
 Yes my car was ordered in Feb. '78 so just made the cutoff for the W72 engine with auto and yes it was rolled into the WS6 option on the option list. Younger people today don't know what a stink GM caused by putting the 403 olds in a Trans Am. For about a four or five month period the national papers were reporting irate customers who said they were going to try to sue GM. Lots of buyers threatened to cancel orders. My build was so close to the cutoff day for W72 autos that myself or my salesman couldn't know for sure if my car would make the cutoff. It wasn't until we popped the hood and saw the chrome valve covers did I know for sure. I gave a big sigh of relief because if after spending $9000 plus dollars on the car and it had come in with a 403 olds I would have sold it sooner than later and its and my history together would have been forever changed.
 I wonder today how many trans ams left the factory with as many options as mine. If you count the radio package that is not on my PHS but was on the original window sticker the count is 25 options. I think maybe I could have gotten only one more which would have been even stranger for Texas than the rear defroster and that would have been the engine heater. Didn't know such a thing existed until some time later when I made a trip to Canada for a funeral with the wife and everybody had one up there. Had never seen the side window defrosters  everyone was using either.

Macdave:
In 1978, there were not many (as was the case in 1977) 403 cars. The only one out there were produced at the California plant and went to California or High Alt. Areas. All the rest were the L78 Pontiac 400 or the W72 (T/A 6.6) Pontiac engine. The drop back to Cali & Hi Alt for the 403 may have been due to the customer back lash from the 403 in 77 but in the Hi Alt and Cali areas, the Feds (for the Hi Alt areas) and Cali (for the state of California) would not allow the Pontiac 400 to be delivered in the new cars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version