Author Topic: How much advamce?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline hesster

How much advamce?
« on: August 13, 2006, 08:11:19 PM »
This one is for the serious T/A group with major engine mods.
How much advance do you run?
38 degrees all in @ 2000 RPM?
I run a mix of racng gas due to the high compression heads, so detonation is not an issue.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
How much advamce?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 05:01:47 AM »
I run 36 all in by 2800. Any more than that I get a little ping under a hard pull. How does you modded TA clock?
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline hesster

How much advamce?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 10:15:35 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I read an old Pontiac High Output Mag I had saved, and an article by Nunzi Romano recommended 36 deg all in by 2000 for a motor just like mine.  I have a MSD digital 6 ignition and a MSD timing computer so I set it up to idle @ 1000 RPM @ 18 degres, and all in (36 deg) @ 2000 RPM.  One would think too much, too quick?  Not with the right gas and carb set-up.  Actually, you can run full advance all the time, but it is a bitch to start.
  As to what my ride will run - I have not had a chance since I just finished it this year.  I have just finished sorting all the electronics out, debugging the nitrous, and breakling it in.  I recently "Stood on it" and let's just say tire traction is severly limited, so no nitrous until 3rd gear.  I consider this "Phase 1", since my motor can destroy the 8.5" posi diff, stock prop shaft, and T10 trans.  I'd hate to wreck the car doing so, and will upgrade possible next year.  Just hit the Woodward cruise last night, and it sure is fun driving this thing - I stunk of racing gas and exhaust fumes all night, best damn cologne there is!