Author Topic: 1978 all original Trans am  (Read 2655 times)

Offline mdj_24

1978 all original Trans am
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:34:38 AM »
My wife's Uncle order this TA new from the factory in 78.  It was his daily driver for 20ish years and as such has 177k miles on it.  Since I married into the family 15 years ago it has sat in his shop, he said it ran when he parked it but that the starter was bad and just never got around to fixing it.  I have bugged him for years to get it fixed up and last summer at a reunion he said I ought to sell it to you.  I told him to think over what it was worth to him and we could talk.  He settled on $2000, I told him let me come get it and look it over and I would tell him if it was worth that to me.  Since getting to my house the list of things it needs keeps getting longer (oddly enough the starter is not one of them, all that was wrong was the Ignition lock cylinder had gone bad.  swapped it out and after some more prep I am hoping to have her running again).  So here is what I know on the out side the rear 1/4 panels, door skins, new hood, drivers side floor pan, noise cone, new paint and all decals replaced.  The interior needs gutted and redone (all of it).  Mechanically I don't have a full idea yet, but it has been sitting for 15ish years so it will need work.  What I think is good about this car is that it is all original and numbers matching, I know its complete history, it is the W72 but unfortunately does not have the WS6 suspension upgrades and it does have the factory manual transmission. My question is with all that needs to be done to it and the high miles (177k) is the car worth $2000 as it is right now?  Also is it a good candidate for restoration (will the value be in the car when we are done) I will post pictures as well.  Thanks for any insight you have, I am fairly new to the TA world, but over the last 2 months have really loved crawling all over this car and finding out what it was and could be again.  I am sure I forgot something please ask any questions and I will do my best to answer.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:36:08 PM by mdj_24 »

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: 1978 all original Trans am
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 05:35:27 PM »
You would be money ahead by finding a solid car.  $2,000 isn't a bad price and you'd probably make money parting it out.  But you'll need to put lots of money into that car and you'll never get it back.

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:42:44 PM »
That's just way too much to read, but I liked the pics.  ( pis)
Maybe post more pics.   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:48:23 PM by Burd Turd »
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline mdj_24

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 09:53:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I was kind of thinking that may be the case.