Author Topic: Hello from Scotland  (Read 4482 times)

Offline HIGHLANDER

• Live Fast Stay Free Help Others
Hello from Scotland
« on: September 25, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »
Hello everyone...........greetings from Scotland!  :D  Yellow '94 Trans Am owner driver here.......LT1.
Great car............only problem is she cuts out over 130 mph, feels like a rev limiter or speed limiter fitted by some authority or other.
Car was exported to Japan the to England, then I bought it after wrecking my Camaro and getting hospitalised............driving with plaster casts on arms is a breeze with auto transmissions, eh?

Anyone know how to get this stupid speed limiter gizmo outta there?

Oh, and the speedo dial is calibrated to 120mph only, then there is a stop pin. So?
Well, one day on a speedy cruise in bonny Scotland the needle hit the pin and torqued itself offa the drive shaft, so now it rattles around in the dash pod. Maybe put it back on, and cut down the pin? Or can I recalibrate the speedo?

Thanks for any info friends, and Stay free. :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:09:22 AM by Hitman »
Head on to the Highway!

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Hello from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:17:16 PM »
Welcome to 78ta Highlander.  Post up some pics of that poncho, we love pics around here.  Oh, and just a small piece of advice.  your text is harder to read when you "GLOW" all of it.  Use the glow to emphasize words.
Rich

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 08:20:30 PM »
i read it all okay....as for your rev limiter...its because you have an auto....if it were a manual then you could definately reach higher speeds....as ive gone faster than you in my 01 :D but anyway welcome to the greatest trans am board on the web....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:26:32 PM »
Eh -- Rich is still affected by the smell of the new carpeting in his house, so bear with please...:-\

And yes, we DO love pictures!  Post some up, please!  Welcome to 78TA.com! :) :)

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:13:15 AM »
Could you explain what you mean by "Cuts out".  It could be a limiter, but usually when you have that with speed, the pedal is pushed, but the gas backs off.  If you have a rev limiter, then the RPM's will "skip".  So, I don't know what you mean by cuts off.  It could also be a safety feature as to not destroy the car or transmission.  As for the speedo, yes, you can put it back together, but you might have to have it re-set again when you do that.  You can also remove the pin, but since your speedo only goes up to 120 anyway, then why remove it?  The numbers only go up that high anyway, so anything after 120mph you will be guessing anyway.  You can look into replacing the speedo to one that registers a higher speed.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline stonewall61

• Brad
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 10:20:07 AM »
To ditch the speed limiter, you can purches a unit made by hypertech (or some other brands) that will shut off the limiter....... check ebay, there's usually a bunch on there.... usually around 100 - 300 US dollars. you can set the limit higher, or shut it off completely... along with changing shift points of your auto trans, recalibrate your speedo for different size tires and a few other things.......... check them out...... but be very careful, the units are year and motor specific, so do some checking into which unit you'd need.

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »
Welcome!
And I agree, post some pictures! ;D
Your questions have already pretty much been answered above, but some speedo shops (at least, here in the states) can redo the guage faceplate with say, double the speed numbers, and sell a part (new gear) for the tranny, to recralibrate the speed to be true to match the new speedo. Pretty costly though.

George  8)

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
Welcome
you took all that time to highlight your post and didnt put up any pics. Shame Shame. Next time I expect you to know better. lol
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 03:47:30 PM »
130! when our speed limit is 70! thats a bit naughty lol. :o :D
Welcome to the site, do you attend any shows here in the UK? :)
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )

Offline DAZZY

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »
130! when our speed limit is 70! thats a bit naughty lol. :o :D
Welcome to the site, do you attend any shows here in the UK? :)
130 is a bit fast on our skinny roads. welcome

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 10:13:45 PM »
For chuckles and grins, what happens over there if/when they catch you going 130 MPH? ???

Over here, you're usually requested by local law enforcement to throw the keys out the window, then open the door from the outside.  After that they tell you to face away from them and then get down on your knees, then lay face down with your hands behind your back.  Resist at any stage of this process and you risk being shot, tasered, or maced. >:(

Once "secured", you can count on enough charges to lose your license and you can count on spending the night in jail. >:( >:(

Some time back I decided it wasn't worth the hassle, so I stopped doing it on a regular basis.  But that doesn't mean I don't have my "places"... ;D 8) ;)

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 04:37:07 AM »
Well here in good ol blighty they take a very dim veiw on speeding.
We have a points system, its a bit like the vouchers you get from a filling station when you obtain petrol.
Different offences carry more points ie get caught doing 40 mph in a 30 limit its 3 points, no insurance carries 6 to 10 points, but if you go for the STAR prize and manage to get 12 or more, then  HEY YOU DONT NEED A LICENSE your obviously a fantastic driver and they take it away from you!
130 mph would probably attract the attention of the law, but they'd have to be driving something more than their Focus, once they stopped you ( sometimes they feel the need to involve a helicopter) they'd congratulate you by putting you in front of a Judge who would also tell you how great you are and then remove your license and possibly your freedom!
Whoever there is an exception to all of this......
..... if you happen to be Prince Charles or a high ranking police officer then you can do as you please!

I get round it all by not running any no plates.  8)

1979 Trans am.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 10:18:28 AM »
Yeah, we've got a points sytems over here too -- much like yours.  In addition, we now have another layer of insurance requirements.  You HAVE to have auto insurance (government sets the minimum requirements) but what you have to PAY for the insurance is your problem.  See where I'm going?  If you lose points off your license, the insurance company is free to charge you WHATEVER they want for your insurance.  You can't drop it -- because if you do, then you have MORE legal problems if you're stopped.  So the insurance companies just start grinding down your wallet...faster when you get tickets.  >:( >:( >:(

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 11:21:57 AM »
Yep sounds very familiar Rick, the only winners are the insurance companies, plus we pay tax on the policies also! :-\
Nearly everyone speeds, its just where and when and in what circumstances, it tends to be the rice rockets etc that attract the most police attention, respectable american car owners ( like meself ) tend to be left alone. ;)

1979 Trans am.

Offline bandit nz

• 81 T Top 06 T/A Nat show, place winner.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 05:46:31 PM »
They hand out Bonus points here too, with each Infringment notice <ticket.
Get 100 points and loose your licence for 28 days, plus all the fines you have to pay.

However, we also have automated speed cameras that take a nice pic of your car as you race passed them, these come in both fixed, on a pole and mobile in a van hidding behind a hedge.
The advantage with cameras, if you can call it that, is that they only identify the car sooo you dont get bonus points.

So far I have managed to aquier $2000.00 in fines and not loose my licence, in my defence I must say these fines go back to 1991.
I also had no idea how successfull I had been, until I was pulled over recently lol

David my business partner currently has 180 bonus points, but they havent managed to take his licence off him yet, bloody Lamborghini hehe.
I think he has his lawyer working on some fancy plan to get him an exemption (work)licence, for when they finaly get around to taking his licence away for a few months.

Im looking for a place to find out just how fast my TA really does go, some how a quarter mile just seems too short, maybe il talk with david about hiring a race track, anybody want to come along ? 
"What we have here, is a complete lack o' respect for the law"
It's only speeding, if you get caught...
Bandit NZ (Stu)
81 T Top Bandit