Author Topic: your thoughts on this radio  (Read 2405 times)

Offline HotBird

your thoughts on this radio
« on: February 04, 2009, 02:26:35 PM »
What are your thoughts on this radio?  I want an original radio for my '78, but I don't want the 8-track.  I thought this would be a nice addition to the car for the mp3 capabilites.  has anyone bought one like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-87-Delco-radio-Camaro-Chevy-Truck-Trans-AM-79-80_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38644QQihZ012QQitemZ220350096792QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Paul Kuras
1978 Trans Am

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
Re: your thoughts on this radio
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 08:47:45 PM »
Or, you can go the cheaper route like I did and add a factory AM/FM cassette player and buy a cassette adapter that plugs into your Ipod.   It does the same thing that the plug jack does with out having to modify your radio.
Couple that with some good Pioneer 6X9 speakers in the rear with an amp, and a set of Alpines in the front, and it sounds awesome.
One of these days I'm going to have to run a sound clip for you guys.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »
Actually, that second unit looks interesting and that's probably what I would go with.  I'm not sure what the thick gray wire in the rear is for....probably antenna.  It also has the pigtail for the power antenna set up....that connector with the orange and the black wires.

However, notice the sides.  See the passenger side?  It has a bolt with a nut?  That's for the radio bracket which holds the radio.  That needs to be on the drivers side.  Notice the funny sheet metal housing on the drivers side?  That's where the firebirds are suppose to have a nut with a bolt because the original radio bracket fits on the drivers side.  I know Eagle knows what I'm talking about. 

The knobs are wrong too....but they sell those aftermarket.

I guess the gray wire would be for the ipod.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:56:28 PM by ta78w72 »

Offline kjkjkcjkcj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:25:56 AM »
You know what i did on my car.  i kept the origional stero wired up to my front speaker, just so i can get a blast from the past with the many 8 tracks my friends parents have given me over the years, and i have a headphone jack that is tucked away in my center consule that goes back to an amp in my trunk that is connected to the rear speakers, it sounds great and they volume is controlled by the i pod.  it was super easy to hook up.  that is my suggestion
-1979 Trans Am Ws6, W72 400, holley 650, #62 heads (toy)
-Silverado 1500 (daily driver)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:33:27 AM »
There's an FM thing you can put insert in the headphone jack of the ipod.  Then tune the fm radio to a specific station and the ipod will play through the radio. 

Offline HotBird

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
Hammer:   Did you have to install a support shelf for that setup?  lol :)

I like the one that Rarebird shows, but I think I like the non digital better.  i'd just like the look of the radio dial line.

i want to keep the hookup simple and stay away from something in the trunk or amps....I want tunes, but I'd rather hear the sound of the car over the tunes any day.  I just thought it would be neat to have an ipod hookup.  The one I posted has the mounting bolt on the same side as the other radio....don't know what I could do there.

i'd like to stay away from the FM thing, ta78w72.  I just worry that the music will play softer or less clear with that gadget.
Paul Kuras
1978 Trans Am

Offline kjkjkcjkcj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
yeah it does the sound quality isn't that great with them. but its way cheaper to do that then replace the whole radio
-1979 Trans Am Ws6, W72 400, holley 650, #62 heads (toy)
-Silverado 1500 (daily driver)

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 09:46:23 PM »
I put my original radio in its own spot and then mounted a radio down below in the map pocket with the adapters.

I think it came out pretty good and doesn't show up that much.

And of course that radio has everything like plugs for I-Pods, MP3 Players, Bluetooth, and you can eve watch DVD's on it.  Man that thing has everything.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline HotBird

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:15:23 AM »
Well the radio I have is horrible.  An 80's cassette deck that does nothing for the styling of the car or for my music needs.  The owner wired the radio directly to the fuse box and bypassed the harness, so I don't have any dash lights.  I thought it would be best to take the dash out and and fix all the wiring.  Turns out there were some other wiring woes back there and I'm missing all my duct work!  So anyway, I have the old radio out now and am ready to  put a new one in. 

HITMAN:  Now I like that setup!  But I'm betting that second radio you have isn't cheap, but man that looks slick!
Paul Kuras
1978 Trans Am

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »
HITMAN:  Now I like that setup!  But I'm betting that second radio you have isn't cheap, but man that looks slick!

Yeah, it was about $500... but my car is worth it to me.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline HotBird

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
no doubt it's worth it.
Paul Kuras
1978 Trans Am

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 05:42:41 PM »
I put an Alpine radio in the glove box and the stock radio is going in the dash. I found a stereo speaker to fit in the stock dash speaker hole it was 60.00 fit was great, I also put in 2 Alpine 6x9's in the rear sounds pretty good for just a radio and no amp.

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »
I am surprised there is not an RF transmitter so you just tune your IPod in with the factory FM tuner?
I have been out of the loop for a while ,so please bear with me  . I mean you are listening to an MP3 as it is right ,so how much more could the sound possibly suck going threw your tuner?

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 05:03:29 AM »
there is a RF transmitter you can use to broadcast over your car radio... I have one... only thing is you must have a fm station that is free and clear and the area I live in.... a lot over take each other making it hard to maintain a clear channel. Other than that it works great as long as your stationary.... mobile you tned to drift some and its not as clear as a direct input or cassette adapter.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A