Author Topic: 1978 WS6 Price?  (Read 5990 times)

Offline Solar78

1978 WS6 Price?
« on: April 26, 2006, 05:52:21 PM »
Can someone tell me what I should pay for a 78 TA WS6?
No T-Tops, no rust, car needs interior redone.
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 06:09:31 PM »
It's hard to determine the price of a car without a visual. Could you provide pictures possibly? Also a little more info on the car wouldn't hurt either.
The small things aren't worth getting
angry about, my daughter taught me that.
R.I.P. Sierra Louise May 1, 2005 - July 21, 2005

Offline Solar78

1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »
I don't have photos.. sorry. But as I mentioned the interior needs to be redone. The body looks to be in good shape, just had a repaint two years ago. No decals on the car. 4 speed... not sure if the car is number matching. Also the owner claims its a WS6 and W72 package car... Any idea how I can verify this?
Car runs.. has original 400... not bad.. I am just weary after being EBAY burnt before.
[/img]
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 02:54:07 PM »
In believe the only way to verify that information is to get the build sheet. I could be wrong about that. You can order one through Pontiac Historical Services. Good Luck! http://www.phs-online.com/

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 06:56:41 PM »
I will pst this here as well as the other topic this question is on:

Again, it is hard to say exactly what the price should be without seeing the car itself. I mean I can throw a price range out of $3,000 to $12,000 depending on condition, mileage, how many owners, maitenance, etc., etc., the list goes on. There are a few things to look for when trying to find out if the car is a WS6 W72 Trans Am. First the W72 engine had chrome valve covers. The regular L78 had valve covers that were painted the same as the engine. Now, aftermarket chrome valve covers are cheap and easy to install so you don't know for sure just by looking at that. The only way to tell for sure is to look at the number on the engine. If it is a YA or a YU, then it is an L78 Pontiac 400. If it is an X7 or WC, then it is the W72 Pontiac 400. Those two letter codes are found on the front passenger side of the block just below the heads.
Now for the WS6 part, again, you can't really tell for sure if the car is a WS6 without running some numbers. The first thing to look for is the WS6 stamped on the cowl tag. If that is there, then there is no guessing ... it is a WS6 Trans Am. If the code is not there (which does not mean it is not a WS6 car), then does it have the 8 inch snowflakes. Again, those are fairly easy to replace so you can't just go by looks. The other way to tell is the thickness of the sway bar. The WS6 had a larger diameter sway bar front and rear. Again, I would tell you the ticknesses, but you would really have to dig under there and take a measuring tape to really find that out as well. One way to check is the turning of the steering wheel. With the car running, turn the wheel all the way to the left until it stops. Put your finger on one spot on the steering wheel and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right..... count how many times your finger goes around...... was it 2 3/4 turns to make it all the way, or was it 3 1/4 turns to make it all the way. This one is a little better of a test because most people if they put the 8 inch snowflakes on to make it look like a WS6 car, alot of times they do not go as far to change out the steering box. Like I said before, these are just simple things to try and help determine, but the only way to know for sure is to have the build sheet or the PHS documents to the car.
Again, as far as what to tell you for a price, it is hard to say without looking at the car. I would guess that somewhere around $5,000 or less would be a good price for the car. But again, it all depends on how bad everything is on the car. The car might be rusted to s#^* underneath like the floor pans or trunk, then engine might be leaking and smoking all over in which case I would onl pay $1,000 for it. Sorry I can't help out any more than that.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 01:13:57 PM »
The easiest way I use to check for a WS6 car is to compare the rear sway bar thickness with the thickness of the risers.  The risers are 5/8 and the WS6 bar is 3/4, while the non WS6 bar is 5/8.  You can see the difference without measuring.  

I think the W72 feature is far better to have than the WS6.  Having both is ideal, but you can add the WS6 features but you'll have a very hard time getting an original W72 engine.  I have a non WS6 car but have added the WS6 rear stabilizer bar, had the steering box rebuilt to 2.5 turns and installed 15X8 snowflakes.  I still have a few more things to replace to have all the WS6 features.

I believe the most important thing you can look for in buying a 1978 Trans Am is rust.  Rust will haunt you in everything you do.  If you have a rust free car, the rest is normal maintenance.  Because, you can count on rebuilding the engine and transmission no matter what the condition of the body.  And, there will be plenty of other things to spend your money on besides fixing rusted body panels.  It's worth paying a premium for a rust free car.

Try looking at a bunch of T/A's that are for sale to get an idea of price versus condition.  Take your time and find the right car.  Don't worry too much about paying a little more for a nice rust free car, it will be money well spent.

Offline Solar78

1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 05:45:22 PM »
Well today was the big day...
I picked up my very first T/A today! And you can tell me.. but I think I got her for a really sweet deal....

Brett I will email ya photos and maybe you can post them for me...

I ended up with a matching numbers 1978 WS6 W72 4 speed Solar gold project... Engine is coded WC. So I have to tune her up next week and get her on the road....She needs work.. interior mostly.. ..

Thanks again to all of you that walked me through this and helped me with all the Code info etc... I really look forward to the fixing up my car with the help of you all...

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 07:04:20 AM »
Congratulations !! Solar Gold huh?  Now maybe you can see if your sweet deal is sweeter cuz if its a Gold SE with those options you have something indeed !
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline Solar78

1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 09:13:17 AM »
Nope..don't think I have an SE... no T-tops...
Car has almost every option the SE does other than the t-tops.
Gold snowflakes, WS6, etc etc... the build sheet just doesn't have the y88 on it..so I was no THAT lucky! but I still got  a great project.
How do you ad a photo to this?

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 02:25:09 AM »
Hey Solar,
Check out the section on this site entitled "sepecial edition ? ". Here's some info I copied and pasted from it that you mey be interested in.
 1978:
Y82 - in early 1978 the Y82 was the Special Edition with the Hurst t-top roof.
Y88 - 1978 they came out with the Gold Special Edition Trans Am which had the Y88 designation, but just like in 1976, it did not matter if the car had t-tops or not, they were all the same Y88 code.
Y84 - After the Y88 was canceled, they came back out with the black and gold Special Edition, but this time it had the Fisher t-top roof and was labeled Y84
Good luck,
Randy
Randy

Offline Solar78

1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 09:17:31 AM »
I am going to have to get my own PHS documentation.
I don't see the Y88 stamp anywhere.. but again.. my car has every option but the t-tops...
Thought it needed to have the T-tops for the gold editions.
Thanks...

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
1978 WS6 Price?
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 02:09:23 PM »
First you have to upload a picture from your computer to an image hosting site like www.photobucket.com. Then you can resize your picture if you need to. Right click on your picture select properties and copy the url. Then come back here and click on the "Img" button paste the url and click "Img" again.