Author Topic: Hows this for Big  (Read 5999 times)

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
Hows this for Big
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:24:52 AM »
just a little over 9' long and weighing in a 97lbs....

anyone for a new pair of boots, with matching belt?
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Hows this for Big
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »
Who's that holding the snake?
Rich

trancelgic

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:38:23 AM »
WOW!

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 11:04:21 AM »
Have no idea who the guy is..but Urban legand is you do not find rattle snakes in the eastern part of NC.. this one was found just south of Burgaw ( about 20 miles north of Wilmington). For something that is not suppose to exist... he's BIG.. its head is ths size of the mans fist. maybe a little bigger... Now thats just creepy... I use to go hunting in that area.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 11:39:39 AM »
I hate snakes...   I have held a couple of them though.   here is one of my wife and I taken several years back.  It is a boa of some sort I think and was at a drive through safari type of zoo.   

Michael Russell

Offline w72transamowner

• Tidewater Trans Am Club (www.ttac.net)
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »
Okay Virgil, that just plain scares the s#^* out of me!  :-[  I don't think I want to go out into the woods any more.  :-[

Did any of you hear that recent incident of a Navy wife here dying from being strangled by her "pet" python (or boa constrictor, can't remember which)?  It just happened last month; her husband came home from duty only to find her dead.  She apparently was trying to give the snake somekind of medicine because it was sick, but it was an aggressive snake and killed her.  They actually had two or three of those damn things in their apartment.  I know the city or state veterinarian services killed the offending snake, but I'm not sure if the husband kept the others and got rid of them.
1978 Trans Am WS6/W72, Auto (purchased Sep 00)

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/carfanatic1

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:53:24 PM »
then you wouldnt want tobe around Miami to the Keys in Fl.  I was watching a show about a week ago.. Monster Quest.. they were looking for huge snakes thats big enough to eat a man.. they actually had pics of a Boa attenpting to swallow a mid 20s man starting at the head... the snake could not get past the shoulders of the guy.... back to the Fla. thing... during one of the past Hurricanes (Andrew it think) there was a pet shop that had over 500 boas in thier inventory after the storm not a one was recovered. There were reports of large snakes crossing over from the wetlands into densly populated areas. Theyset up a motion camera and left it for 5 days.. On the last day it took a shot of a 18' albino boa... more than likely one of the many not recovered after the hurricane... Dade County now has a special task force just to deal with the snakes now.... Think I would take my chances with the bomb squad. They capture somewhere 15 to 20 a month.
  The really scarry part is... they are migrating north because of temperatures warming and over-population of thier species...Estimated with the patern of global warming that by the year 2020 "wild" boa and pythons will be in the US from Fla. northward to south- eastern Va and as far west as eastern Co.
   If thats the case one would crazy to go in the woods without some sort of protection from these huge creatures....Forget you pocket knife... a sawn off shotgun might be usefull.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Blue Knight

• 1978 T/A 400ci and Hurst T-Tops
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 01:27:28 PM »
make a nice set of seat covers with that snake!! ;D

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »
I've heard rattlesnakes are good eating. That thing is HUGE!  :o
The small things aren't worth getting
angry about, my daughter taught me that.
R.I.P. Sierra Louise May 1, 2005 - July 21, 2005

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
I have had a 7 foot Columbian Boa, a 9 foot Burmeese Python, an Albino Burmese Python, and a small Rosy Boa, plus some odds and ends Scorpions, Tarantulas, and lizards.

Here was my Boa (Rajah) at the start:

Grew to 7 feet in four or five years:

( Above is a six foot long home made enclosure for her )

Here is my Burmeese Python (Samson):

I wish I would have kept my Boa.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline ddmurdock

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:38:12 PM »
I've heard rattlesnakes are good eating. That thing is HUGE!  :o

You could have a buffet with these rattlers.  Pics taken about 40 miles south of Albuquerque, NM.

Murdock.
'77 SE Y82 L78 for show
'95 Y82 for go
'98 WS6 SGM 1 of 26

Offline w72transamowner

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:15:21 PM »

then you wouldnt want tobe around Miami to the Keys in Fl.  I was watching a show about a week ago.. Monster Quest.. they were looking for huge snakes thats big enough to eat a man.. they actually had pics of a Boa attenpting to swallow a mid 20s man starting at the head... the snake could not get past the shoulders of the guy.... back to the Fla. thing... during one of the past Hurricanes (Andrew it think) there was a pet shop that had over 500 boas in thier inventory after the storm not a one was recovered. There were reports of large snakes crossing over from the wetlands into densly populated areas. Theyset up a motion camera and left it for 5 days.. On the last day it took a shot of a 18' albino boa... more than likely one of the many not recovered after the hurricane... Dade County now has a special task force just to deal with the snakes now.... Think I would take my chances with the bomb squad. They capture somewhere 15 to 20 a month.     

I know that there is a problem with these stupid snakes in the Everglades now.  Boas and pythons that are breeding and starting to kill off the natural wildlife in the Everglades.  They say a lot of the snakes come from previous owners simply setting them loose because they can't take care of them any more.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 10:50:02 PM »
Well, our house is protected by patrol snakes...

OK -- so thus far we've only had 3 of them...that we found... :o

Offline w72transamowner

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 07:09:05 AM »
Well, our house is protected by patrol snakes...

OK -- so thus far we've only had 3 of them...that we found... :o

How the heck do these things keep getting into your house??

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »
They find cracks around in different places to squeeze into.  The worrisome thing for me is that I've found one in the attic. :o

How a snake can get up a two and a half story wall into an attic is beyond me... ??? :-\