Author Topic: My 1976 Firebird Esprit. Metalime Green with deluxe white/ black interior.  (Read 51170 times)

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
Re: My 1976 Firebird Esprit. Metalime Green with deluxe white/ black interior.
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 09:06:25 AM »
Very unique bird you got there :) As others have mentioned the Esprit usually ain't getting restored, so this is nice to see :)
Thank you.  My birds color combo was not too common to see even in 76.  Metalime green was not popular by no means.  However, did you know some Formulas came out wearing this color also?  I will post a pic of it in the future. 
I have posted in other forums that I at first hated this color and did not want this Esprit.  The old owner sent me a picture of it via Craigs list and my wife talked me in to going to take a look at because it looked very original and complete.  The very good white interior, unique 76 nose, and the fact that the car was mostly original (nothing was hacked up or molested by someone who had no idea what they were doing) attracted me to the car.  I took a month or two to actually start to like the color. I never wanted a TA because that is what everbody restores or bought for that matter.  I grew up in the late 70s to late 80s and TAs or Z28s were the in.  I wanted a Formula actually because it came with most of the suspension up grades like the TA.   
So now I have around 300hp under the hood (CAN'T WAIT FOR MY PONTIAC 400 TO BE UNDER THE HOOD THOUGH!), a 700r4 conversion I installed my self, 410 posi, suspension and steering that handles just as well or better than a TA or Formula  on top of a rare original color combo on the car.  Another thing that got me is that my car came with a 3 turn steering box from the factory-  Makes it more fun to drive LOL I could sit here and list things I love about this car all day long now!

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »
I saw a T\A on eBay a year ago that was painted the same color as your car ;) And I kind of liked it :) What suspension do you have on the car now?
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline Greenbird76

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 09:34:58 AM »
I saw a T\A on eBay a year ago that was painted the same color as your car ;) And I kind of liked it :) What suspension do you have on the car now?
The TA did not come from the factory like that in 76.  It was either a clone or repainted.
TRW front springs, Eaton 4 leaf high spring rate rears with OERs shackle and bushing set, 1 3/16th inch front sway bar with energy susp. bushings, 5/8 rear sway bar with energy bushings, Energy Susp body bushings, Energy Suspension front bumps and stops, factory stops in the rear, New rubber control arm bushings because I did not want the squeak.  I will be adding in weld in frame connectors as well as solid body bushings in the future when I plug in more horsepower to the car.  I was going to lower the car 1-2 inches but decided against it due to clearance issue and my driveway.

Offline dodgeram106

• T/A
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »
Here is a Camaro that color I sold a while back...The seats are white I just had cheap covers on them

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:27:24 PM by dodgeram106 »

Offline Greenbird76

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 12:04:47 AM »
what year is that? I think it looks so much better on a Firebird though!.  To me, it appears to be a different green, but I have seen a metalime green  Firebird esprit on the web that came with the green accents and dash like your old Camaro.  I love my black and white combo.  I see something interesting though, did mid 70's Firebirds and Camaros use the same inner door panel with the storage pockets?.  They look just like mine.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:20:20 AM by Greenbird76 »

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 02:00:02 PM »
The TA did not come from the factory like that in 76.  It was either a clone or repainted.
TRW front springs, Eaton 4 leaf high spring rate rears with OERs shackle and bushing set, 1 3/16th inch front sway bar with energy susp. bushings, 5/8 rear sway bar with energy bushings, Energy Susp body bushings, Energy Suspension front bumps and stops, factory stops in the rear, New rubber control arm bushings because I did not want the squeak.  I will be adding in weld in frame connectors as well as solid body bushings in the future when I plug in more horsepower to the car.  I was going to lower the car 1-2 inches but decided against it due to clearance issue and my driveway.
I know it wasn't a factory color on the T\A, but still I think it looked good ;) I'm thinking about getting a new suspension, so that's why I asked ;)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline dodgeram106

• T/A
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 10:27:57 PM »
The Camaro was a 76 and the door panels were the same for a few years I think on both..I did own a 76 firebird a long time ago but it was tan with black interior.I put the formula hood on it,the rear spoiler,and some new centerline 15x8 wheels on it then had it painted the same factory color.That was a major change...Nothing beats a new paint job and wheels......You'r car is looking really good nice work..

Offline Trans am Oz

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 03:07:15 AM »
Very unique bird you got there :) As others have mentioned the Esprit usually ain't getting restored, so this is nice to see :)
X2
Any Bird that gets some TLC is fine in my book
Great car mate..love the colour combo especially the interior

Offline Greenbird76

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 10:10:59 AM »
Thanks alot guys

Offline Greenbird76

Mounted some new mud / rain gaurds and chrome exhaust tips. Pics
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »
I polished the heck out of the car for a cruise and show today.  In the process, I mounted some rain/ mud gaurds and some chrome exhaust tips.  Here are lots of pictures of the tip and mud flaps plus many other cool pics of my ride.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:17:58 AM by Greenbird76 »

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2011, 10:51:54 AM »
Sir you have one beautiful bird. I really like those tips on the Espirt, the more I see your car the more I wish I still had my Esprit.
I long for the peace that only driving a t/a can bring.

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
beautiful ride.. you should be very proud... and congradulations
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Greenbird76

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 12:13:42 AM »
Sir you have one beautiful bird. I really like those tips on the Espirt, the more I see your car the more I wish I still had my Esprit.
beautiful ride.. you should be very proud... and congradulations
I appeciate it guys- Thank you!  I am very proud of the work I have done so far and I have a list of projects to do on her this winter including restoring the radiator support; restoring the front grills; replacing the headlight bezels; removing and resealing the windshield; a small patch and weld job on the inside panel of passenger door; and maybe throwing a set of Fuelie heads and a beefier cam into the SBC. If I can't get the heads for the right price then just a better cam and new double roller timing chain.  I may also have rear end geared down a little to 3:73 so I rev a little lower at cruising speed.  the 4:10 is sure fun on the back roads and Main st though!

Offline deadfish

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »
Nice job on the Esprit! Just thought I'ld say hello from the "Quiet Corner". I just put mine on the road for a couple months this year. I used to have a 70 bird, then a 74 bird (green with a white interior too!), now a 79 T/A. Nice pics of your suspension work. That's an area I need to work on this winter. Then in the spring I need to re-shoot the clear coat (dried too fast!) and then maybe I'll see you at a show or two.

Rick C.

Offline Greenbird76

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 10:48:20 AM »
What area of Connecticiut are you at?  Just did a cruise at the Panera Bread on Route 5 in Newington with Carter Oak Firebirds.