Author Topic: What parts are rare and hard to find?  (Read 10133 times)

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
Re: What parts are rare and hard to find?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 03:24:59 PM »
I'd pull the whole car. ;D lol
Larry

Offline Magnum

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »
If it was me, i'd take anything and everything my wallet would allow. however, take the outside door handles (maybe inside also) if they are not already broke.
Jason
'78 Y82 S.E. W72 4sp
longing 4 the road

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 07:06:56 PM »
Well, go for the fresh air duct if it has one.  Check the radio on the drivers side to see if it has a radio bracket.  The passenger side A/C duct if it's in nice condition.  Those go for about $100 new.  The console if it doesn't have a lot of burns in it.  I've seen the 403 Air cleaner housings go for quite a bit.  The A/C brackets could come in handy.  If it has a rear window defogger.....grab the timing circuit...and if power windows, the relay for that too.  If it has the WS6 option...grab the power steering gear and rear sway bar.  Then figure out what things you want on your car that that car has and pull those parts....like tilt column....power trunk release, map light, kick panel lights...etc.

The clear lens covering the lights.....that illuminate the plate....I think that would be part of the tail light assembly. 

Offline Craig

• Black Trans Am
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 07:19:02 PM »
I'm a newbie and haven't even taken delivery of my car yet, so bear with me.....

Is the fresh air duct the one that bolts to the drivers fender in the engine compartment? It's there.
Radio is aftermarket. Will it still have the bracket?
AC duct. Will that be behind the dash leading to the vent under the glove box? What if there's no AC? Still get it? I'll check for brackets.
Console is trashed
Does have the air cleaner, but the shaker has holes drilled in it.
I'll check for a rear window defogger. Grab the glass too? I don't think they are made anymore.
No power windows.
I'll check for WS6, but I did notice it didn't have snowflakes, cause I need some.
Los Angeles, CA
www.BlackTransAm.com
1978 Blk/Blk L78, Auto., 2.56

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 07:36:44 PM »
Yep, the fresh air duct is two piece.  One angled piece that has a little metal bracket that attaches to the fender....TIN INDIAN is looking for that bracket....you'd be doing him a great favor by pulling that for him.

The bracket could still be there even if the radio is aftermaket.  I found one that way...

The passenger A/C duct is easily taken out once you pull the glove box.....there is a fastener that connects it to the passenger side vent....make sure you unscrew it or you'll break the duct.  Then there are two large bolts on the cabin side of the dash...pull those....and there may be a fastener that connects it to the middle duct behind the radio...but if you can't easily take the duct out...there's a fastener somewhere that needs to be removed.

The air cleaner housing is what the shaker sits on.  The shaker is garbage since its been cut.

The rear defogger glass isn't made...but unless you want to use it yourself, leave it....it cost too much to ship to a buyer...it has to be crated.  If you want the glass for yourself..also pull the switch, the timing circuit...and the purple wire that runs along the drivers side tray....don't cut any wires.  The glass is grounded on the passenger side.  You'll need to remove the rear seats and plastic sides to get to the wiring for the glass.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:44:52 AM by ta78w72 »

Offline Magnum

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 07:06:28 PM »
i heard today that the rear glass, even w/o the defogger, is not available at my local glass shop. and, this is hearsay, if it is available its $1000.  :o
Jason
'78 Y82 S.E. W72 4sp
longing 4 the road

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »
If you're going to pull the rear glass, do it right.  Get it without cutting any wires.  Unscrew the ground strap on the passenger side, and get the purple wire and the switch.  The purple wire connects to the harness near the emergency brake.

Offline Craig

• Black Trans Am
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 07:56:06 PM »
Well the rear glass will cost $15.00 next week so I should probably get it. Someone will want it for that price and the cost of shipping.
Los Angeles, CA
www.BlackTransAm.com

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 09:02:05 PM »
The salvage yard I go to gets $100 for those....and I think that's a fair price for a nice clear piece of glass.  If it's scratched up, well, that's another story.

Offline Craig

• Black Trans Am
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 10:27:45 AM »
My Pick Your Part lists a rear window at $29.99, but it's 50% off on the 4th through the 8th.
Los Angeles, CA
www.BlackTransAm.com

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 10:55:54 AM »
Do you have to pull it yourself for that price?  Those back windows are glued in.  You've got to get a blade in there to cut the glue.  The glass guy I used to replace my back window had a special tool....and he used a massive amount of muscle!!

Offline Craig

• Black Trans Am
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 10:58:41 AM »
Yes, I would have to pull it myself.  I don't know how to get the aluminum trim off either, so it might not be worth it.
Los Angeles, CA
www.BlackTransAm.com

Offline miketransamkid

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 11:23:52 AM »
Glass companies have a special tool to cut that glue that has a high vibration rate and heat to cut thru that stuff. Most often that not the glass will break anyway.

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 01:58:24 PM »
piano wire or guitar string works. You have to get it through and then use swo handles and patience.
Larry

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »
Trim pops off pretty easy ...and a rear windows will come out easier than front windshields. You will definitely need a helper for this job; both for help cutting the seal and for lifting it out. Good luck
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette