Author Topic: My 1978 Firebird Formula Restoration Project/Forum Greeting  (Read 12098 times)

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
Re: My 1978 Firebird Formula Restoration Project/Forum Greeting
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 11:31:05 AM »
Also, can somebody give me their wheel size they use on their 78 firebird. I am looking at rims to get after I fix all the main issues of the car, but I need to know the best rim / tire size for these 78's where I can get the best look and performance. These are the rims I am looking at right now http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel_detail.asp?subcat3=1071101 . Also, can you guys recommend some good tires for these that will deliver the best performance and best look.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 12:01:07 PM »
The original size wheels were either 15 X 7 or 15 X 8.  You COULD go larger, but then it's up to you to sort out all the fitment issues (like rubbing and such).  Also, if you start changing wheel sizes dramatically then you'll probably also want to start looking at modifying the suspension so it all works together better.  You have to watch for "mission creep", which is when you start out doing one thing and end up doing a whole lot more.

If you want to be able to rotate your tires, just get a set of either snowflakes or Rally IIs.  You'll want the 15 X 8s with 4-1/2" backspacing.  You can put a set of P255/60/15s on it without any issues, and you can go much larger if you're willing to accept the occasional rub or do a little clearancing with a big hammer.  NPD has the Rally IIs for about the same money as the wheels you're looking at.  Snowflakes aren't a terrible amouint more -- check with Hitman if you want a really good-looking set. ;)

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 12:08:01 PM »
Can you help me with my parking issue in my post before the one you responded to? It reads "Hey guys I have a mechanical question for you that perhaps you can help me fix, or have fixed. After driving the car, and pulling into the sloped driveway, I put it into park, and it will roll backwards a few feet then stop for good. I have to apply the emergency break for the car not to do this, but I find it troublesome nonetheless. Also, it seems that the shifter's display doesn't quiet match what gear you're in. For instance, from park to drive my shifter lands between the two for drive. I don't know if this is typical, but I would like to know either way. Thanks a lot,
                                                                                        Kevin Martin"

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help on the wheels, can you recommend a good set of tires too, as in brand wise? I know that Bridgestone and Michelin have always been good, but I don't know about for a classic car though. Thanks for your help,
                                                                                     Kevin

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »
Well, Kevin -- I saw that, and it's a transmission problem.  But it's an automatic transmission problem, and I'm not an automatic transmission guy (I have a 4 speed, and on my other vehicles auto transmission are "unit repair items" -- I leave that to others), so I left it for somebody who has better answers than I could give.  My guess is that something's not right with the parking lock mechanism, but that's just a guess like I said.

There are quite a few makers who have the P255/60/15 size, but my personal favorite is BF Goodrich Radial T/As.  Not terribly expensive, in keeping with the character of the car, and readily available. ;)

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 02:37:39 PM »
Thanks, let's hope someone else has had the same issue and fixed it can lend us his/her knowledge or wisdom on the problem. Thanks a lot Rick.  :D

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »
I *think* there's a little "finger" which is supposed to engage a corresponding "sprocket" inside the tranny. My hunch would be: 1. The finger is hanging up inside the tranny for a few seconds, 2. There's some worn teeth on the "sprocket" so the finger doesn't engage anything until it hits a tooth. No idea if I'm right or not as I had the tranny rebuilt by a shop - there's certain things I let others do and that's definitely one of them.

You might want to get the service manual on CD and take a look under the appropriate section to diagnose your issue further. Brett sells them here:

http://www.78ta.com/sale/cdsale.htm

Page 7A2-12 in that manual covers what you're looking for but there's a bunch of other diagnostic info in the preceeding pages.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »
I ordered the cd's a few nights ago actually, should be really helpful  ;D . I am seeing the car today, and I should be able to post more pictures.  :D

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 09:21:26 AM »
Got a lot done this weekend, removed a lot of those plastic/vinyl interior trim pieces and are a bit scuffed up. I did my best to clean them up with some soap and water, but there are still a good deal of marks on these pieces. How do I go about cleaning off those scuffs? I was thinking that if I dye them black that it would  cover up a good deal of 'disfigurements'. Anyone have any ideas?  :D

Offline 79transam92

• my myspace
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 01:07:55 PM »
hello, I am also 16 :D, from Oklahoma, mine is in a lot worse condition and mine is a 79 with 403, your car is gonna be nice

I don't know about the problems, could be a brake problem...
1979 T/A, 403 engine, posi tract, needs interior and body work, needs paint, an engine rebuild couldn't hurt, needs the nice weather of summer again, BTW, I have a 94 Chevy Silverado also

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »
How do I go about cleaning off those scuffs? I was thinking that if I dye them black that it would  cover up a good deal of 'disfigurements'. Anyone have any ideas?  :D

Any pix of the scuffs?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »
Taking it to Dons Auto Upholstery to fix everything including the scuffs and everything  ;D

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »
Update: Car is in shop to fix transmission issue and the power windows. I plan to hand them the schematic that lee 01 drew up for the relays tomorrow, but I thought I would let you guys know that the transmission issue is being fixed as we speak.   ;D :D

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »
Kevin

Looks like we're in the same boat. I just bought my 2nd TA (I had my first one when I was in high school. I was too dumb to appreciate what I had. From reading your post, you're smarter than I am ;) ). You've really done your homework. You'll find (as I have) that the people here are VERY freindly, and VERY helpful. I'm not much of a tech guru myself (as I've been out of the game for about 20 years, and just getting restarted) but I've already learned a lot just from browsing the board, and reading old posts. There's a GOLDMINE of good information there, if you hunt for it.

Not sure if I'd go with a black and tan interior either. One of the reasons I'm pulling the camel out of my car and replacing it with black is that the interior in my ride is VERY sunbleached, and the dash is very cracked, and some panels don't seem to match other ones. Now, from what I've read, I can either get black replacments, and dye them the proper color (and run the risk of the dye skinning off, or uneven fade due to time), or I can cut my losses and just replace the whole thing with black, which is what I'm planning on doing. But like everybody has said, if you cut out your dash, be prepared to live with it. Here is what a former owner of my car did to mine.

As I'm planning on upgrading the interior later, I'm going to have to live with it for the moment, but as you can see, if it's not done carefully, there isn't much place to support a stereo. I'd find me something that had dual post knobs on it, and perhaps a headphone jack in from your ipod or something to avoid hacking up your dash.

Good luck and post more pics ;D

Gunner

Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 11:44:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm just going to have the auto upholsterer redo my black and clean it up etc. I plan on going with custom autosound for the stereo, so that no dash cutting is required... Thanks for the post and interest in my car.. I appreciate it.  ;D

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
Yeah, I'm just going to have the auto upholsterer redo my black and clean it up etc. I plan on going with custom autosound for the stereo, so that no dash cutting is required... Thanks for the post and interest in my car.. I appreciate it.  ;D

From the pics you've already posted, it's already a pretty sharp car, and it's going to be even sharper when you get done with it. Keep us posted on your progress, and keep those pics coming

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower