Author Topic: Searching the member list  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Joker (§ir£Ðragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
Searching the member list
« on: April 13, 2008, 08:18:23 AM »
I was just noticing that when you use the alphabet buttons at the top of the member list it doesn't bring you to the correct part of the list. It brings you to the correct page number, but it doesn't resort the list by name (default appears to be date joined). For example, I was just searching for Wheels78TA for Ihuman but when I clicked on the "W" it took me to page 35 which should have been the correct page, but it was still sorted by date. Even if you tell it to sort by name first, when you click the letter it reverts to default. Obviously not an emergency situation, but it can make it difficult to find someone specific if you want to PM them.
Larry

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Searching the member list
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »
I'd like to see a search like we have to search the forum but against the members. that would be a cool add-on when Hitman gets some time!!  how about by next weekend?
Rich

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »
You can sort the member list by user name by clicking on the "username" at the top of the list.  You can sort by who is online and who isn't, you can sort it by position or number of posts... etc.  So, all of theose things listed there at the top you can sort it by.  You can also do a reverse on it.  For example, if you click on username, it will sort it from A to Z.  If you click on username a second time, it will sort it from Z to A.

Rich, I don't know what you mean by search agaisnt the members.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »
You can sort the member list by user name by clicking on the "username" at the top of the list.  You can sort by who is online and who isn't, you can sort it by position or number of posts... etc.  So, all of theose things listed there at the top you can sort it by.  You can also do a reverse on it.  For example, if you click on username, it will sort it from A to Z.  If you click on username a second time, it will sort it from Z to A.

Rich, I don't know what you mean by search agaisnt the members.

I think he means to search for posts by members, but I just do that from their profile. I may be wrong.

I know you can sort by member name, but lets say someone is looking for me and for some odd reason can't find a post by me to get to my profile through. ::)   If you go to the member list and even if you do have it sorted by name, yes I know you could go page by page until you find me, but over to the right (at the top) it was the letters A-Z. You should be able to click on "S" for example and be taken to the beginning of the names beginning with the letter S.
Larry

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
To elaborate, I could search by location, by user name, by signature, etc.  The various fields available would be searchable.
Rich

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »
Told you I was wrong. ;) lol
Larry

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
Told you I was wrong. ;) lol

HAHAHAHA!  That tickled my funny bone!
Rich

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »
Yes, only the Admin can search the members using those fields.  I don't know if I can make that searchable by regular members.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline P-Js_BLKBRRD

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:02:58 AM »
Having a member search by radius from a zip code is a nice way to find folks who are nearby your home or a place you'll be visiting.
"BLKBRRD"