Author Topic: Radiator Rubber isolator position question  (Read 1583 times)

Offline TA400FL

Radiator Rubber isolator position question
« on: February 03, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »
Hello out there.
I am struggling with trying to install a "direct fit" Cold Case Radiator into the fan shroud and line up the top radiator support holes.  First I was using an OER Fan Shroud and the guy at Cold Case told me that was the problem  So, I ordered a GM Fan Shroud, waited two weeks for it to get here and still have the same problem.  The radiator and fan shroud assembly can't get together enough to pull forward so the top shroud to support holes will line up.  Can't get the bolts in. 
     Can someone tell me if the large or small end of the rubber radiator isolators goes towards the inside of the fan shroud?  I of course have tried both ways but just want to make sure I am assembling the right way.  I have about 5 hours of trying to get 6 bolts in a radiator fan shroud. 

Thanks for the help!
ERIC

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
Re: Radiator Rubber isolator position question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »
the shroud is tapered where the rubber pads go, they only go in correctly one way.  from memory i think the wide end goes towards the front of the car but would have to check mine to be sure.   
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »
You are correct.  The larger end is towards the front.  It took me a while to trim those rubber isolators and really use a lot of muscle to sandwich it all together and get it mounted in.  Cold Case states that it is a "direct fit".  Problem is that their welds around the tanks are big which makes the overall height larger than OEM.  That is why it does not want to fit within the limits of the upper and lower fan shroud edge. 
It was crazy how long it took me to do such a simple 6 bolt mounting.  Wasted a lot of precious resto time screwing around with it.
Anyway, it is finally in now.  It better cool VERY WELL!!
Thanks for the response.
ERIC

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »
thats stinks the cold case didnt fit right, glad you finally got it in... i use & prefer champion alum radiators, they fit excellent, cool great & have a lifetime warranty, all for under about $200 shipped!  for a budget radiator they cant be beat.
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 01:02:17 PM »
I should have checked out the reviews on here and found out what was best.  If something goes wrong with this one I will know to check out the Champion rads.

Thanks,
ERIC