Author Topic: Build Sheet?  (Read 10096 times)

Offline Amtrak

Re: Build Sheet?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 08:04:10 PM »
Only the L  vin code cars or california cars had the build sheet on the gas tank!

Offline Crazylock

• 1979 Pontiac Trans-Am 403 auto
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 09:20:49 AM »
i have a K vin....
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some muscle.

Offline Helter80

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 10:18:42 AM »
i have a K code too. its the Olds 403 code. my car was made in Norwood
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline Crazylock

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 10:26:48 AM »
same with me
=) do you have the 403 still? if so, our cars could be L80 twins
 :P lol
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some muscle.

Offline Helter80

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 10:52:56 AM »
same with me
=) do you have the 403 still? if so, our cars could be L80 twins
 :P lol

yeah i have an L80 in it still. my car currently has the original transmission, it had the original 403 in it when i got it, it didn't run and needed to be rebuilt, i made a stupid decision and i took out the original engine and used it as a core deposit for a nice rebuilt 403. i've been kicking myself for the past 6 years for not keeping the original engine and rebuilding it to put back in the car
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 11:01:35 AM »
  When I got my 78 a couple years ago I gutted the interior as it was rotted and just coming out in chunks and found my buildsheet....UNFORTUNATELY a mouse found it first and made a nice little shredded bed from it...there wasnt anything left bigger then a blade of grass...looks like it went through a shredder...that was the only damage done by the mouse so I was happy...never found the darn thing either.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Crazylock

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »
well, i still have my 403 block, but thats it. the intake, heads, pushrods, and carb. are from a 77 buick riviera..but its the original block  :P

Offline Amtrak

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 06:11:43 PM »
L as in plant code   the vin will have an L or N designating where it was made K is the engine code  Sorry I wasn't clear on that

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 08:08:09 PM »
i would imagine it would still be there because before i restored my T/A, the car was pretty original with all of the original parts still intact

I imagined that also, as my car was NEW when I bought it and it's never been apart.  Alas, it was ONLY my imagination because there was NOTHING up there.  I haven't pulled out the carpet yet, but I can tell you there weren't any hiding in all the usual locations.  I still blame the jerk doing new car "prep" at Dave Waite Pontiac in 1975 for tossing it.  >:( >:(

Mine was under the carpet.  There's still hope.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:33 PM »
That's about the last place it could be hiding.  The good news is that the car doesn't seem to have had any mice in it from what I've seen.

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »
The good news is that the car doesn't seem to have had any mice in it from what I've seen.

Very good news..they can chew up everything and mess your wires up.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline 1FSTLS1

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »
So whats the deal the guys working in the factory just picked a spot and put some build sheet there?   Just thought o this would be a good spot?  What are all of the spots.  My car is almost all the way apart and no sheet yet.  Could it be under the dash pad?  Is this top seceret? 
1999 Silver Z28

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 09:10:24 PM »
Basically they just left them where ever the spirit moved them to do so.  It apparently wasn't a requirement to leave them at all, much less anywhere specific.  The build sheet was just a part of the manufacturing process, kind of like the plastic bags over the seats and such, and they were disposable.  Once the car was built the factory was done with them and they were considered just so much waste material.

Most of them were left under the rear seat cushions.  Sometimes they've been found behind the upright portion of the rear seat along the metal dividing the trunk from the passenger compartment.  Sometimes they've been under the front seats, sometimes on the carpet and sometimes under the springs on the front seats.  Some of them got left on top the gas tank, pinched between the tank and the trunk floor.  Sometimes they've been found above the headliner.  I've heard of one that got scrunched behind the passenger-side kick panel.  And apparently sometimes they got left under the carpet.  Of all of those, under the carpet is the only place I haven't checked on mine.

I think there were a lot more that were just left on the floor of the car when it was finished, and the flunky who got the job of cleaning the car up at the dealership as part of the EXTRA CHARGE "new car prep" tossed them out along with the plastic that covered the seats in shipping.  I'm pretty sure that's what happened to mine.  >:( >:(

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
Rick- you need anger management ;).  When you took delivery of the car, did  you ask about a build sheet?  When the cars were new- a build sheet wasn't important.  So if it got pitched, who threw a fit?  It's only in the last few years that build sheets have gained such notoriety.  Nearly every build sheet I have found ( and I have a stack of them) ;D has been behind the rear seatback between the foam and the springs.  I have only had one from under the front seat, and two under gas tanks.  I think most of them never made it into the cars after final assembly.

P.S.  I can send you a build sheet if you want >:D

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 11:28:30 PM »
Don't worry Rick, you aren't alone.  I haven't found mine either.  The only places I haven't been into to check are the gas tank and under the carpet.
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350