Author Topic: WIRING, seat belt warning light stays on  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Bandit Billy

• 77 Bandit owner
WIRING, seat belt warning light stays on
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »
good evening electrical experts, i finished building my 77 SE last year and i am getting some quality seat time in but a few weeks ago a light woke up, the seat belt warning indicator.  It will not turn off and yes, i buckled the seat belt so don't go there.  the buzzer talks to me until i pull the belt out of the retractor but the light never turns off.  answer?  other than taking the bulb out...thank you in advance and thanks to all who helped me restore this car so quickly (Hitman and Combs especially). 
Hold on to Fred, son! Here comes the cavalry

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: WIRING, seat belt warning light stays on
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:34:40 AM »
There are two black wires that run under the carpet, I believe if your buzzer is working so does the light but not 100% sure.... Then again the buzzer only has a 20 second delay
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Re: WIRING, seat belt warning light stays on
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »
One of the two black wires going to the seat belt runs to the buzzer, the other to a ground under the kick panel emergency brake side. The buzzer is interesting, I someday would like to figure out how it works inside, but basically if the black wire completes a ground (when the seat belt is clicked into the buckle), then the buzzer is grounded and will not buzz. It's like a mini relay with a timer. If it's not grounded, the buzzer will buzz for x seconds and the seat belt light will light up.

I suspect your buzzer timer is bad, because I think the seat belt light is supposed to turn off when the buzzer stops buzzing. I may be mistaken though.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.