Author Topic: wheel flare welting  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
wheel flare welting
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:29:04 PM »
OK, So i got new wheel flare welting. What is the correct way to install it? Fat side out or skinny side out? Im assuming it is Fat side out but I need to make sure. 
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
Re: wheel flare welting
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 12:58:50 AM »
COULD ANYONE POST A PICTURE CLOSE UP OF THIS. I CANT FIND ANY INFO IN THE SERVICE MANUAL ON HOW THESE GO ON. THANKS.....FRED

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 02:02:42 AM »
Just for you I went out tonight and climbed up into my attic with all my spare parts...  ( basicly a 76 and a 77 trans am minus the shells >:D)   But anyway, I have some 79-81 fender spoilers and they are genuine GM units.   Here are pics of the welting up close.  By the way, the brown side in the 2nd pic and the black side in the 3rd pic are the outsides that you see when installed.

Michael Russell

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 02:04:28 AM »
edit* As posted above, those are originals. He's got a good view of the cross section. Compare your repo welting to that and I think you'll see they are slightly different.

Here's a pic. Best one I could find on my pc. If you need a better one, just hollar, I'll take one of my car. Hopefully, this will show you how it goes on. If you have the silver reproduction welting, don't expect it to fit with out a fight. Despite their claim that it is "just like" the original, it's not. It may have a very similar shape but it is just slightly larger than the original stuff and I don't think the angle is correct on part of it. Too hard to explain here. Suffice it to say, as I recall, I had to trim the inner lip down (not completely off) and then super glue it to the flares a couple inches at a time to get it to stay where it needed to be. Turned out ok, but a huge PITA. Good luck.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:11:20 AM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 07:05:03 AM »
Mr. Pontiac crawls into his attic for ya FredBob! 

His attic is probably 130 degrees if it's like mine here in Florida ... what a guy.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:14:44 AM »
Mr. Pontiac crawls into his attic for ya FredBob! 

His attic is probably 130 degrees if it's like mine here in Florida ... what a guy.

HaHa....   Seriously, any other day you'd be right... but weve had some hard thunderstorms roll through over the last couple days and you'll see my post was at 2:00 AM...  so it was a nice 60 or so degrees for a change.   It actually felt better in there than it did in my house I think.

Michael Russell

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:42:54 PM »
Thanks you for the pics. especially so late. They helped alot. Had i not seen that I would have installed the backwards.

Offline mrpontiac80

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »
No problem.

Michael Russell