Poll

Is this "firebird" better than the original decal?

Hell Yeah!!!  That hood looks way better than the original!!!
9 (56.3%)
No Way!!!  original is way better!!!!
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: September 23, 2006, 12:53:22 AM

Author Topic: What do you guys think about this hood?  (Read 12233 times)

Offline domaru

What do you guys think about this hood?
« on: September 23, 2006, 12:53:22 AM »
My dad had a custom firebird painted on his hood.  Just posting to see what you guys think about it.

The rims came from Brett BTW.  Let me know what you think.

[/img]

Offline Solar78

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 01:55:49 AM »
That paint job is SICK!!! Really nice work...
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline evilways

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 11:04:10 AM »
The hood bird is great...you should do it to the sail panels and customize the lettering as well, for a uniform look. The original birs is great as well, so I didn't vote, but if you're going to be custom, go all the way, if you're going to be original, be that all the way. Being a former painter myself, I can tell you those flames are not easy, but well worth the compliments. It'd be cool to do the shaker as well, to have flames appearing to come from the front of it heading towards the winshield. Post more pics if you get more work!!
peed limits....they're just suggesstions,..right?

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 12:15:59 PM »
That is an awesome hood bird... nice job on the paint work.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 01:08:29 PM »
That is just too cool! I didnt vote because I think both custom and original kickass. But like Evilways said, doing the lettering and stuff would really compliment the whole car. And in my opinion I would have done more of a pheonix head than an eagle head. Still kickass though.
The small things aren't worth getting
angry about, my daughter taught me that.
R.I.P. Sierra Louise May 1, 2005 - July 21, 2005

Offline domaru

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 02:51:03 PM »
Yeah we just got the car done a couple weeks ago.  We were under the impression the bird would have more gold in it thats why we went with the original gold lettering (seperate people did the bird and the body paint/decals).  We actually ended up taking off the T/A 6.6 off the shaker because it clashed too much with the bird on the hood.

All the rest of the decals have about 5-6 coats of clear coat over them so it will be a job to change them.  We plan on doing it this winter.

Thinking about going with a red set of Trans Am decals and having the same bird thats on the hood airbrushed on the sail panels.

Offline band1t1

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 05:53:02 PM »
that is a lovely piece of artwork , and i think it looks great but would be undecided on, if i prefered it  to an orginal eagle ,but then i do love orginal looking trans ams.

But got to say, it  depends on what you like and for all the different type of eagles ive seen painted on ,thats one of the nicest  :D

Offline hazzardcountykid

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 06:17:22 PM »
Like some of the others, I can't cast a vote either way. Your hood is AWSEOME! :D  But I do like the factory bird.

Great job on the paint!!

Later...
Grant

Offline 78 T/A

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 05:46:35 PM »
I can't decide on my vote because I'm a huge fan of original stuff but that's one sweet lookin' bird.  Beautiful detail.
78 T/A-W72 400, 4-speed, WS6

13.80 @102.8

Offline transamfan

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 10:52:14 AM »
It is nice to see someone else out there who has ventured out from the original mindset and done something custum.  It is a relief to see that because I am in the process of doing the same thing with my 79.  I am like a lot of the others who say that they like the original decals, but I also think that a good custom job that doesn't go over the top can be a real eye catcher.  I think that the bird is awsome and the overall paint job looks great.  The two things that I will criticize are the head of the bird favoring an eagle rather than the traditional pheonix and I think to really get the best look you should have done the sail panels and lettering in the same color and custom style as the hood.  As for the hood though, I think it was well done and looks great.

Final poster of my car, and yes, that's my lady as well.

Offline Ron 1973

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 12:31:15 AM »
Now thats what I call a FIREbird !!!

Pretty cool
7 TA SE
73 Formula
02 Collector Edition TA

Offline Pro71bird

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 05:59:43 PM »
yeah.....that's nice!

George
George
1971 455 Firebird

Offline tribute

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 08:56:22 AM »
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I don't really care for that hood bird.  The workmanship is awesome but it just doesn't work for me.

That being said, It definitely makes the car stand out in a crowd.  It is nice to see somthing different on the hoods to personalize the cars a bit and to see some variety.  When I get mine repainted I too plan on using a custom bird just to make my TA a bit different.
421 Powered '77 TA

Offline TRAN5AM

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 11:36:47 PM »
Voting seems to be disabled, but I would have voted YES!

It looks like something GM should have done, if they had the time or technology back in the 1970's to do it right.

Nice job.
Steve Frey

"Put your seatbelt on, I want to try something.
I saw it in a cartoon one time, but I think I can do it!"