Author Topic: 1991 Firebird Crisis  (Read 10882 times)

Offline hionspeed

1991 Firebird Crisis
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:11:38 PM »
I know I should lurk before I type, but I don't have much time. My beautiful girl (1991 Firebird) was in a car accident and her rear fender was damaged. She is my baby. The insurance called it a "total loss" and offered me $2,000 for her as I had her on full coverage because I LOVE this car! I DO NOT want the money except to use it to fix my car! But it doesn't work that way.

THE STATE OF FLORIDA mandates that once a car is evaluated by the insurance companies as a total loss that it can no longer be insured and must be destroyed. In another word, I get a check--not my car fixed.

I am a 37 year old woman. I love my car as much as I love my kids. Has anyone heard of any such nonsense? Is this true?

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OR OFFER ADVICE? I have to call the insurance company tomorrow and I'm besides myself!

Angela in Florida

Offline Eagle 1

1991 Firebird Crisis
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 07:21:26 PM »
Tell the insurance company that you dont want it totalled.  Get some quotes by some local body shops and present them to the insurance company.   The downside is that you may have to foot the diffence.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline hionspeed

1991 Firebird Crisis
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:37:16 PM »
Thank you for writing. I told the insurance company I did not want my car totaled. Also, they told me it wouldn't do me any good to get a quote from elsewhere because it was in the "system" as uninsurable. This is just awful! Had I known they were going to do this to me, I would have NEVER brought my car in for an estimate!

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
1991 Firebird Crisis
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 07:40:01 PM »
Don't you just love insurance companies.... they get you one way or another.  That is why with my Insurance company I have a stated value that is well above any bluebook value..... so that way, they can't write the car off as totalled.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline evilways

1991 Firebird Crisis
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 07:49:12 PM »
You can get a personal appraisal of the car and present it to the insurance company. A car's value must be diminished by 75% of the blue book or appraisal value here to be considered totaled. Your insurance may go up or you may consider going to another company. Just don't sign or accept anything until you get what you want. The insurance co. will try their best to make you feel like the offer won't be as good later or won't be there at all. Not true. You can also inquire about placing "diminished value"claim on the vehicle, basically it will show that the car has lost more value through the accident than the co stated, thus giving you a higher payout. This works especailly well with sporty and collectable cars. Again, the personal appraisal is the way to go . It may cost a little to start, but it's worth it to keep your car and get it fixed or get a higher payout if they won't budge off totalling it. Good luck and don't be afraid to be tough with the insurance people. You can also at no cost to you get other repair estimates that may be less than the % needed to total the car.
peed limits....they're just suggesstions,..right?

Offline hionspeed

1991 Firebird Crisis
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 08:35:43 PM »
Thanks to all who responded to this thread. These are very good suggestions and I'll look into a stated value for my 2001 GTA so this doesn't happen to that car and I'll see about getting a personal appraisal for my 1991 so I can save her. Thank you so much!

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
1991 Firebird Crisis
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »
You could try telling them you don't want the money and you don't believe you can replace it for that price....so ask them to replace the car.  I doubt they'll find one for $2,000.  

I would go the appraisal route first though.  See, it really depends if you're negotitating with your insurance company or the other drivers insurance company.  You have more leverage over the other drivers insurance.

I had a door hit in my 1978 formula.  The car was parked on a street where my daughter was babysitting.  The guy across the street backed out of his driveway and hit my door.  He said my daughter was a fault....go figure that one!  His insurance company tried to total my formula.  I laughed at them and said they were going to fix it one way or the other.  They came out to the house expecting to see a 1978 rust bucket, but instead saw a pristine car that looked like it just rolled off the assembly line.  They fixed the door to the tune of over $3,000.....yep $3,000 to fix a dented in door....after all it is California!  But the job was perfect.  I was impressed and I'm not easily impressed when it comes to body work.

Offline Eagle 1

1991 Firebird Crisis
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 11:09:17 PM »
Yes, definately dont back down from the insurance company.   Like evilways said, dont sign nothing until you get what you want.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline ronj1977

1991 Firebird Crisis
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 12:28:52 AM »
the ins. industry goal is to put you back into the exact situation you were in before the loss not better not worse they will try to loball you every time. and dont let them depreciate your car either they try to tell you stuff like the car losses 3% a year they are hopeing you wont cause a stir tell them that a car depriates  the day that it is driven off the lot but at each year the rate is lower and then begins to climb DO NOT SETTLE !!!!
  GOOD LUCK

Offline evilways

1991 Firebird Crisis
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 11:17:41 AM »
Get as much knowledge as possible before talking to the ins. co. They thrive on a customer's ignorance of their rules,policies, and state laws. I read an article on automobile insurers awhile back and it stated that for every $100.00 they spend out, they recieve $3,000.00 . Quite the racket.
peed limits....they're just suggesstions,..right?