Author Topic: Quadrajet transplant question  (Read 1242 times)

Offline 1976400

Quadrajet transplant question
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:10:53 AM »
Slowly working on getting my '76 TA running right.. the carb on it when I bought it turned out to be from '75 and whoever had it before me really didn't know what they were doing. It was in really bad condition. So I've managed to source another Qjet (which isn't too easy here in NZ) and it's number is 17059595 , which as far as I can tell means post-'76, from 1979, California/high alt, 9 = which manufacturer? Maybe Holden, I'm not sure, and from a manual. What I want to know is if it's a safe bet to attach this one to my TA, being a '76 auto, or if anyone has done something similar with a good result?
76 Trans Am - rather messed up - slow restoration in progress

**Right or wrong what's done is done/it's only moments that you borrow** - The Eagles

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Quadrajet transplant question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »
That checks out to a 1979 Holden VB with either 253 or 308 and manual transmission, not sure which. They were fairly well watered down jetwise due to pollution gear and emissons at the time so may want to check them out but otherwise should be fine. Just check that the base plate completely covers any recesses in the inlet manifold, if has any at all or could create a leak. Also, the fuel inlet is normally Chev style to the side so may need a new fuel line to fit. Also check out the throttle cable attachment type and fitting for auto cable. May also have electric choke originally fitted.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:23:32 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:02:05 AM »
Do you ever get down to the New Plymouth area? When I was living down there they used to have drag races on De Haviland Drive in Bell Block. Somebody down there back then was running around in a TATA.

Just wonder if you ever got down there in that neck of the woods

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline 1976400

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »
Thanks for the info bout the Qjet, I thought it was probably from a Holden. It's running ok on my TA now, just need to tweak it a bit and probably rebuild it for good measure.
I've been to New Plymouth a lot, but I've only been going there recently for the Americarna festival, I never knew that they had drag races out there... I am trying to connect with more Trans Am owners. I've only met one so far LOL.

**Right or wrong what's done is done/it's only moments that you borrow** - The Eagles

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »
Thanks for the info bout the Qjet, I thought it was probably from a Holden. It's running ok on my TA now, just need to tweak it a bit and probably rebuild it for good measure.
I've been to New Plymouth a lot, but I've only been going there recently for the Americarna festival, I never knew that they had drag races out there... I am trying to connect with more Trans Am owners. I've only met one so far LOL.

They used to have them on De Havaliand Drive in Bell Block, think it was the third weekend in the month. But that was quite some time ago. I know one guy that used to come down there with a TATA. Saw the car but never got a good look or met the driver.

Americarna festival? What the hell is that? That must be something that started after we came back to the States

Gunner

Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline 1976400

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:37:51 AM »
Haha yeah. Americarna festival has only been going for maybe four years. It's actually really neat. It's held on the last weekend of February annually. It's like a car show, only it lasts for four days or so. The cars all get together and do runs from city to city all over Taranaki. It's always over a weekend, and on the Friday night they do a night cruise of the city centre round Devon Street and along the waterfront. The Saturday is always the actual car show at the racecourse. Heaps of cars go, at least a few hundred. It's for all American cars and hot rods, they just have to be road legal. Check out americarna.com and there's some stuff there. They're holding it in Wellington next year for some reason. Always a few Trans Ams, and millions of Camaros/Mustangs/Corvettes. There's usually a good number of older Chevys and stuff, like from the 50's. Mostly restored beautifully. I plan to enter my TA when I'm finished fixing it.