Author Topic: Figuring out a few wires on my dad's '78 Y88 under the dash  (Read 1367 times)

Offline qurtrn10

Hey all,

I'm helping my dad with his '78 trans am.  We cut out a lot of dead wiring from two old alarm systems, and a cb that was installed and then later removed in the 80s.  I have some wires coming out of the main harness near the steering column, and I can't figure out where they go or what they are.  I hope some one can help us out.  On Tuesday we tore out the bad wiring (and believe me - a lot of it was really bad), and today is supposed to be the reconnecting everythign day and fire it back up.  I'm worried that we might forget a wire.

Thanks a bunch,
William

These two connectors are just hanging out not being connected to anything.  Does anyone know what they are and where they go?  My dad's car is a '78 Y88 Gold with 4 speed (in case that matters).

Then there's this little connector.  It was also just hanging down by itself.  It only has one wire going to it, so I'm thinking it could be connected to a dash bulb or something of that nature.

Last one - and this is the biggie.  It is tied into the main harness, and one of the old alarm systems was connected into it.  I need to know where these wires go to reconnect them properly:

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Offline Stringer

Re: Figuring out a few wires on my dad's '78 Y88 under the dash
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:29:43 PM »
It is hard to tell just from the photograph.  It is highly probable that they may not go to anything...depending upon the original options on the car.  Pontiac used the same basic wiring harness for all firebirds complete with leads for the different options even if they were not used.

Here is a very good website that discusses interior wiring (don't overlook the link at the very bottom for the "options" wiring)

http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/harness/harness.htm

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:40:26 PM by Stringer »

Offline qurtrn10

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
I think we found the problem.  After cutting out the alarm wiring, there were two wires hanging down near the steering column - one is purple, the other purple with a white stripe.  When we connect the two together, the car will crank.  I guess it's some neutral safety switch (even though it's a 4 speed).

We are going to just connect them together with butt connectors to get it running, but I'd like to find the correct plug or thing they connect into.  If anyone knows how it's supposed to look oroginally, please post a pic or let me know what to buy.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 04:03:55 AM »
I answered this in your other post that only has one pic.

The two top plugs are both of your buzzers, key and seatbelt, they have been removed.

The grey wiring plus are for lighting options, even if you car doesn't have them. There's a few. That one could be something like the courtesy lights.

The purple wiring is neutral safety switch for autos and clutch switch on manuals, correct you'll need it reconnected to start car.

Not sure what the last pic is looking at or referring to.

Check your emails, sent a wiring diagram and photos, large files.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:11:36 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline qurtrn10

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »
Thanks so much, those pictures are very helpful.

We have just connected the two purple wires with a butt connector for now to get it to start, but I'll start looking for the proper clutch switch.

If I'm reading the diagram correctly, the tan wire coming from the fuse panel area is supposed to go to a parking break switch.  Our wire is just hanging down like it is in the picture.  Does anyone have a pic of what it connects into?  I'm not sure if the correct switch is still in his car.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »
It goes to the spring switch on top of the e-brake pedal mechanism.

Here's a used pic, it pushes into the silver tube that extends off the switch.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:33:27 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline qurtrn10

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »
Great, thanks!  I'll try to get over to my dad's house in the next few days and see if it will connect.

You guys are a life saver!