Author Topic: Adding factory A/C components to a non-A/C car ('77-'78 T/A)  (Read 2084 times)

Offline qurtrn10

If I buy a '77-'78 T/A that is everything I want except it doesn't have A/C, how difficult would it be to install all the factory A/C components? 

Are there any parts of the factory A/C system that are consider unobtanium today?  Obviously I would need all the brackets, hoses, compressor, condenser, etc.  Would it be hard to get the engine-turned dash panel with cutouts for A/C vents?  How about the ducts under the dash?

If it's something I could source all the parts for $2-$3k, that opens the field of potential cars quite a bit, but if it's substantially more than that, I would have to limit myself to factory A/C cars.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
Re: Adding factory A/C components to a non-A/C car ('77-'78 T/A)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 11:49:55 PM »
I have a parts car that has everything I need to do the swap into my car. With that being said, I haven't tried to replace anything yet, so I'm unclear about replacement parts.

It will be a royal pain the ... to do, but with patience and research, anything can be done

My parts car only cost me 500 bucks, so I'm not sure what it would cost to buy each component separately.

Post lots of pic when you do it because it make a good reference for others, like me to follow along

Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 07:56:30 AM »
Using stock parts it's a real mess of a job, not just redoing half the engine bay and dash but kick panels and other setup and cutting up firewall to suit. Keep looking, unless it's an AC car that simply has it removed.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:00:45 PM »
Using stock parts it's a real mess of a job, not just redoing half the engine bay and dash but kick panels and other setup and cutting up firewall to suit. Keep looking, unless it's an AC car that simply has it removed.

Right, I forgot about the firewall opening being diffrent...Not too big a deal for me as I can be handy with a mig and everything is already apart anyway, in the car its going in...the parts car will be a PIA for sure! Havent even begun taking that apart yet!
Charlie

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:21:19 PM »
Sorry qurtrn10...I hijaked your thread...much appologies
Charlie

Offline qurtrn10

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies (and the hijack, lol).

I'm good with disassembling and reassembling parts, but cutting the firewall is a little out of my skillset.  I'll keep looking for an original A/C car.

Thanks!

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »
NP...Let us know how it goes!!
Charlie