Author Topic: '70 Firebird value?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline IdahoDirtFarmer

'70 Firebird value?
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
Went and looked at a '70 base bird today. Original straight six, three on the tree. Mileage unknown as the speedo quit sometime ago. Runs good but hasn't really been driven for four years. The owner fires it up every now and then to keep things charges but other than that it has been sitting in a garage for the four years. Tires are in pretty good shape. The body has no dents except for the rear bumper has a small dent that you really wouldn't notice unless you were looking or it or the light was just right. There is some VERY minimal rust starting in on the drivers rear fender well and quarter. Nothing cancered through yet but a couple serious paint bubbles. I'm sure if ya got the paint off it would require some small patch work. The interior is great for a 41 year old car. The door panels are complete but need recovering. No missing chunks or anything. Front seats need recovering but all the foam is complete. The seats started to look worn so the owner put seat covers on them years ago. The rear seat has no rips or tears and minimal fade. The carpet and headliner is in perfect shape. Dash has one small crack but the rest of the gauges and what not look like new. Trunk pan, floor pans, and frame rails look to be rust free. Comes with original jack and spare. The original owners manual is in the jockey box. The current owner is the third owner, the other two were his mother-in-law and brother-in-law.

He was asking $3,500 but after some haggling he said his absolute lowest dollar is $2,000. I offered $1,500 and he said he would think about it. Does this sound like it is worth $2,000? To be honest if I get it I'd drive it like it is for a while till I could afford to make it into a Formula clone and convert the three on the tree to a four on the floor. Hard to judge without pics, I know, but I didn't have a camera to grab any. Does it sound decent for that price? Thanks!!!!
'74 T/A project
'79 T/A Y84 (really rough project)
'79 esprit (making T/A clone)
'79 T/A Solar Gold daily driver
'91 Formula

Offline LTD

Re: '70 Firebird value?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:57:20 PM »
I'm no expert, but I must say, that I would've definitely laid down $2,000 for that car easily if it's as great as it sounds.

Offline ma snart

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »
i think just cause of the year and the rarity of it still having the six and manual on the column should easily bring that, if it were me id leave it alone,instead of cloning it,you rarely see a six early bird and never see one on the tree anymore,plus it would be a great looking car that gets pretty good mileage.
1971 lucerne blue trans am

Offline T/A Kid

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
One word Yes, If you want a 70  bird you just can't find them much anymore and when you do most are in bad shape with rust. You could drive it a while clone it and have a nice car IMO. Good luck oh and find that camera when you go buy it !
In memory of my big brother Jimmy
miss ya everyday bud.