Author Topic: restored 15x7 snowflakes, how much should i ask?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline v8killer

restored 15x7 snowflakes, how much should i ask?
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:56:17 AM »
i made a deal with the guy who bought my car for a lower price and i kept the wheels to sell separate, so i'd like to know what you guys think i should ask for these.

when i first got them:

took them to my friend's machine shop where we cold tanked all 4 of them overnight (hot tank would have damaged the aluminum):

cleaning them in the parts washer with hot soapy water:

this is as good as they cold tank could get them ...

so i had to roll up my sleeves using his blast cabinet and "glass" bead all wheels inside and out:

what emerged after couple of weekends going over after work and doing these 1 at a time, it took a LOT longer than i had anticipated, seems factory painted and baked wheels don't wanna strip that easy:

but that wasn't the end for me, oh no, i had to take these wheels and sand and wetsand the ribs/face and then polish them, probably over 2 days worth of work for EACH wheel:

they now sit unpainted, i can either have them painted the correct gold color leaving the polished ribs and then clear coating them, or i can sell them they way they are now.

i have the center caps too but honestly after the work i put into these wheels it would be a sin to reuse those 30+ year old center caps, so basically assume no center caps although i'll throw in the ones i have in the deal.

so after all this, how much do you guys think i should ask for these? unpainted the way they sit
1979 Frankenstein Trans am

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
Re: restored 15x7 snowflakes, how much should i ask?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
the 7's are a hard sale.  as you know most all look for the 8's .  and anyone looking for 7's, to make there car correct want the correct laith turned marks in them not polished.   Im just saying anyone looking for the 7's want a clean, in good condition wheel. and it looks like you have a really nice set ready to be restored.  I would ask 250 to 300 for them, ready to be painted. as someone might like/want the polished look to them.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Dogbone94

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
the question is... what would you charge me to do my 8's.....?

Offline v8killer

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »
i'll let them go for $400, buyer pays shipping.

Offline Dogbone94

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:51 PM »
well...?

Offline v8killer

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:00:15 PM »
well...?

i'd never put this amount of work into someone else's wheels. you can buy these however =)

Offline Dogbone94

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:03:18 PM »
i like my 8s.. thanks anyway... dave