Author Topic: steel control arm bushings for street use  (Read 2689 times)

Offline swims350

steel control arm bushings for street use
« on: February 23, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »
Anyone use the steel bushings for the upper or lower control arms? would they work on the street? The delrin or delalum are out of my price range and I hear poly only squeaks bad so figured maybe the steel might be better then going back rubber?

Offline F-body International

Re: steel control arm bushings for street use
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »
I think I responded to this same post from you but on another forum recently.  I'm working on doing up a set of stock controls with the AFCO steel bushings right now.  They're pretty nice.  Most people report positive results with PTFB upper control arms which have a similar overall design so I think you'll be fine.

You will need two (20098) and two (20099) upper control arm bushing from them to use on your stock cross shaft.   I got mine from Dave at Pro-Touring F-Body.  In regards to the lower control arm bushings, you'll probably have to use the nylon/steel version if you have later style frame that uses the 9/16" bolt.  AFCO does offer a cheap steel lower bushing but I found out recently it's only for 1/2" bolt size like on early 2nd gen frames. 

An upgrade some guys on the NastyZ28 forum do for cheap is use offset cross shaft from Moog.  This gets you slightly more camber adjustment from a stock arm for cheap.  From there, you could also throw a +.5" or even +1" extended length upper ball joint.

https://www.afcodynapro.com/AFCO/406350979
https://www.afcodynapro.com/AFCO/1350911769

Keep us posted here on what you do!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:43:33 PM by F-body International »

Offline swims350

Re: steel control arm bushings for street use
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »
sadly I ended up with just stock rubber ones. I do have to buy a cross shaft fo rone so I had seen those moog offset deals.