Author Topic: Electric Windows  (Read 867 times)

Offline Big10in

Electric Windows
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:53 PM »
The motors for both my passenger and driver side windows are about to kick the bucket.  I need to replace them.  Does anyone have part numbers for a plug and play kit from Y1?  Is replacing those motors an easy job?  Any tips?
"But under my hood is internal combustion power, and Satan is my motor."

Offline Big10in

Re: Electric Windows
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:57:06 PM »
I totally posted this in the wrong section... Can it be moved to "restoration"?

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
If the motors work at all, it may not need motors. Do they go up if you have the engine running? That's what mine do. They won't go up if the car is off, but if I start the car, they will. So, I think my motors are fine. I just need to do some work on the regulators and tracks and maybe redo some wiring.
Removing the regulators and tracks and cleaning them and re-greasing all the sliding and pivoting points should make a big difference, and might be all you need to do. Some people modify the wiring so the power goes through relays instead of the window switch. This way more power goes to the motors than it used to. Here's an excellent thread about modifying the wiring with relays:  http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=8769.0
Steve F.

Offline Big10in

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 11:19:16 PM »
Thanks, man.  Good thread.  The reason I fear it's the motors is they just sound tired. They work, but it's super slow.  I'll try some other things before I replace them.