Author Topic: Car only cranks after replacing vacuum lines nes  (Read 1832 times)

Offline elkyone

Car only cranks after replacing vacuum lines nes
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »
I have a 78 Trans Am with a 400 automatic, it started and ran with the vacuum lnes disconnected and I wanted to install new ones since these were original and needed to be replaced but  since I did ( following a vacuum line diagram) the car just cranks and I have flooded it. Before I take these off and try again I wanted to ask if they are related?
http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/elkyone/library/78%20Trans%20Am%20during%20project

65 Mustang (currently for sale) sold
74 Nova (sold):(
78 Trans Am
86 El Camino sold
12 Traverse
07 G6

Offline mathteacher

Re: Car only cranks after replacing vacuum lines nes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
Let me ask a couple of questions.  Are you running the Q-jet or something else?  You say it started and ran with the vacuum lines disconnected.  Does that mean that you had the vacuum ports on the carb and elsewhere plugged or just open? ( I realize that just running without the ports plugged would be highly unlikely, but you never know.) Have you verified that the vacuum lines that you re-attached are in good condition with no leaks?  Did you remove the carb in the process?  Yes to any of these may point to the problem.

Offline mathteacher

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »
Here's another thought.  Remove all vacuum lines, and plug each line and port.  Attempt to re-start.  If that doesn't work, look elsewhere for the problem.  If it starts, re-connect one line at a time until the problem reappears.

Offline elkyone

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply, first its the original carb nothing fancy, i was in the process of putting things bck together after having the engine rebuilt lst year so the lines coming from the canister where connected, and some attached to carb but not all.
Some were plugged but one group was missing completely, and I only ran it for a few minutes it isnt beng driven with things upplugged.
Th vacuum lines are brand new so i hope they are functioning properly  carb hsnt been removed since the engine came bck last year, i m lening towards taking the lines off and working that way.
http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/elkyone/library/78%20Trans%20Am%20during%20project

78 Trans Am
86 El Camino sold
12 Traverse
07 G6

Offline mathteacher

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »
Sounds like you have a place to begin.  I've worked through several issues with no-start or poor idle problems with my Q-jets.  One time while re-connecting the hard vacuum line from the brake booster to the rear of the throttle plate I heard an unusual "snap" sound.  I couldn't find any immediate reason for it, so I continued.  It took forever to adjust the idle mixture and timing to get it to run, but even then it ran like a real dog.  Idle quality was terrible, and it seemed to be running very rich.  I decided to remove the carb to take a better look at it.  When I did, I discovered that "snap" was the sound of the throttle plate cracking from my having over-tightened the brake booster line.  Swapping the throttle plate solved the problem. 

This may not be what happened to your carb, but you have what I call an erratic problem - one that doesn't seem to make any sense based on the operation that was just performed on the vehicle.  Often it takes a complete reversal of the procedure to inspect every part.  Don't be hesitant to remove the carb for inspection, as well as any other vacuum related parts that might not necessarily be suspect under ordinary circumstances.  Good luck !

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:03:46 AM »
I always look for the simple things first. Any chance you may have knowingly or unknowingly disconnected the wire to the distributor?
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline elkyone

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 04:51:09 PM »
Hpefully i will have sometime o lok at everyhing  including the distributor  could have accidently disconnected something. On ime i forgot to reconnect all of the alternator wires and i got nothing until i found the missing wire then it strted fine

78 Trans Am
86 El Camino sold
12 Traverse
07 G6

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
Disconnect the bat terminal from the distributor.  While cranking the engine, measure the voltage at that bat terminal lead.  You should have seven or more volts.  If not, replace the ignition switch.  That's where I would start.

Offline elkyone

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 08:27:55 PM »
It does seem to be vacuum related, I disconnected some vacuum lines at the carb and it fired right up. Now I just need to recheck the. I have reconnected sone and it still starts up.
Thanks for the suggestions

78 Trans Am
86 El Camino sold
12 Traverse
07 G6

Offline mathteacher

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 10:14:22 PM »
That's great !  Which vacuum lines did you disconnect that you have not reconnected yet?  These seem to be the prime suspects now.

Offline elkyone

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 10:31:03 PM »
I reconnected them all in the correct locations, I found a better diagram so that helped.

78 Trans Am
86 El Camino sold
12 Traverse
07 G6