Author Topic: 75 TA 400 Automatic  (Read 835 times)

Offline jandouglass

75 TA 400 Automatic
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
My 75 T/A starts in every gear. I figured it might be the neutral safety switch. I searched the forums for an answer but I can't find anything related to an automatic. What do you think? If in fact, it is the switch, where is it located?
Thanks,
Jan

Offline NOT A TA

Re: 75 TA 400 Automatic
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »
It will start in all gears if someone disconnected the backdrive that goes from the transmission to the steering column and left the steering column mechanism in neutral. To test, just try to rotate the collar on the steering column where a column shifter for an automatic would be. If it rotates it's disconnected and you may find that if you rotate the collar to a position where it would be in one of the forward or reverse gears the car will not start. Switch itself is still on the column shaft housing itself (under the dash down by brake pedal) in 75 IIRC. If your reverse lights don't work (or someone put in a special switch for them) that's another clue that the backdrive has been disconnected.

Also if someone did leave the column collar set to neutral be careful if you put it back into the park position because the car will start and be driveable but the steering may not work because the wheel is locked in position.

Pretty sure the reverse/Neutral safety switch on a 75 still looks similar to this '70.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:23:27 PM by NOT A TA »
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X