Author Topic: 403 running HOT  (Read 1036 times)

Offline two4ruff

403 running HOT
« on: June 07, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
Hello,

I've searched a bunch of these posts but can't find a solution (or I missed it)

I have a 79 TA with a 403.  The engine has been rebuilt with 68 350 heads and MLS gaskets, Comp Cams K42-222-4 kit, KB Hyperutectic pistons, Edelbrock Performer intake and original rebuilt and rejetted/metering rods carb.  Just had it tuned and it was real lean (17-18 AF now 14 AF).  I also have the Champion 3 row aluminum radiator/shroud and electric fan set to run full time with the key on and a 160 degree t-stat.  It runs fine when cool outside but as the air temp climbs so does the engine temp also when climbing hills the temp shoots up.  I stop and let it cool when the temp hits above 220-230.  The car is a non-AC body and even the heater core is new.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 403 running HOT
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »
KB pistons and 350 heads? Factory radiator shroud? Clutch fan removed?

Offline two4ruff

Re: 403 running HOT
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »
KB Hyperutectic stock compression 403 pistons so the added compression is from the heads only. The initial idea was to just head swap and cam kit without rebuild so I had already spent the money and had the heads machined and port matched to the manifold otherwise I would have just had the stock heads machined and higher compression pistons.

Electric fan only with aluminum 3 core radiator and matching shroud.  The fan runs continuously with the key on.